This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

(N00B) Trouble with ATI M1 video card
  • VERAULTVERAULT December 2010
    I'm new to the Slitaz distro, but from what I have seen I'm very impressed. I loaded Slitaz almost seemlessly to my Dell latitude CPX H PIII 500 mhz laptop with 256MB ram. The best thing was I setup this laptop for my newphew with ubuntu 8.10 a year ago since he is incapable of using windows without virusing the heck out of it in a day or 2. The unit worked just ok for a while,, pretty slow with the speed and amount of RAM in hardy... but it was usuable.

I found Slitaz flies on this same Machine, The issue was the 40Gb hard drive failed, and all I has for a spare was a 1.3gb hard drive I pulled out of a pentium 100mhz texas instruments laptop a few years back,, slitaz installed with room to spare! It took a while to find a pcmcia wireless card to work partly because of my inexperience with Slitaz but that was not too difficult a task.. The biggest drawback right now is the resolution, its stuck at 800x600. This machine can do 1024x768 which makes using a web browser doable. The laptop has an ATI M1 8MB graphics card. I have tried everything I know of. I have modified the xorg.conf (which usually leads to X not working) I have used tazx to load the ATI, Vesa, Intel, drivers.... those do virtually nothing. I loaded ATI catalyst,, still nothing.. I know its an ancient card, but Crunch bang boots right up to 1024 X 768. This is my only drawback right now, and I get a huge kick out of re-using "antiquated hardware". Can someone help?
    Was it a stupid question? I have been digging through the forums but havent quite found anything to work. Its a common laptop and was hoping someone might have had some luck with it.
  • laikalaika December 2010
    I can't help you with your video card, but below is my modified Screen section of xorg.conf that gave me a resolution of 1024x768. I'm not a very sophisticated user, but this at least gave me the resolution that I wanted:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Back up and rename your original xorg.conf file so you can retrieve a working one in case this doesnt work for you. Basically, I cut everything out of the Screen section that I did'nt want and put in that Modes line. Works for me with my old ATI card and the Vesa driver, but, of course, your mileage may vary.

whoops, triple posted somehow. sorry.

• mojomojo December 2010
    mach64 driver : http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmkwmcmw2ku/xorg-xf86-video-mach64-6.8.0.tazpkg

Works on my vintage 1998 intel motherboard with an ATI Rage IIC graphics chip.

• ms3811ms3811 December 2010
    @verault, hope you were able to fix the resolution. If you did, don't bother reading further.

If you still haven't, you might want to check back on the basics. I once spent a whole day trying to figure out my resolution issue, only to realize that the driver I thought I had loaded wasn't being utilized at all, instead Slitaz was loading the default vesa driver. Turns out, xorg was looking at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-Device.conf whereas I had made the changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (stable uses xorg.conf, cooking uses a new version of xorg that does things differently).
    Thanks for the heads up. I will check on that in the future. I actually didnt get the driver to work but with some messing around I was able to get the vesa driver to display a higher resolution. The problem is when I install/update I tend to lose the higher res again and revert back to a max of 800 x 600. I love slitaz and all the hard work everyone is putting into it, I just wish there were far less annoying minor bugs... i.e. midori constantly crashing, resolution nightmares, and lxpanel issues.... Oh well cant have everything... Thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social