This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Issues with Nvidia non-free [SOLVED]
  • ms3811ms3811 December 2010
    When I run startx after following the steps to install the nvidia --non-free driver in the guides, I get the following error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

LoadModule: "nvidia"
    Loading /usr......./nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: miEmptyData
    Failed to load /usr....nvidia_drv.so

During bootup, I noticed that the module nouveau throws the error: can't load module video (/lib/modules/2.6.36-slitaz/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko.gz): unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter. Not sure if this is related to the nvidia driver not working.

I checked to make sure linux-drm is installed and drm is loaded. Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks.

Ps: The graphics card is a nvidia geforce go 7400. Also, the default nvidia (free) driver works fine. Oh, also, ls -l /dev/dri shows nothing. There is no card0.
  • erniaernia December 2010
    as far as i know noveau conflicts with nvidia proprietary driver, you should unistall or blacklist it and modprobe nvidia instead
    Tried removing noveau too. Actually I tried removing all display related modules from rcS.conf (intel-agp, drm, noveau and nvidia), then manually loading them after bootup, I still get the same error. Also, is it normal to use the intel-agp driver for the nvidia card? Is there a 'nvidia-agp' driver?
    As it turns out, nouveau still loads due to tazhw executing in /etc/init.d/rcs. So I have now blacklisted nouveau. Now nvidia module loads properly. But I still get the

LoadModule: "nvidia"
    Loading /usr......./nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: miEmptyData
    Failed to load /usr....nvidia_drv.so

error when running startx.

who loads intel-agp? i don't know if it's ok to have it loaded.
    did you reboot after have blacklisted the noveau module?
    did you overwrite the /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-slitaz after or before to have built the module? you could be using a kernel different from the one you have built the module against, you could try to rebuild the module.
    Ok, so apparently this is a documented bug with the nvidia driver. The latest version is supposed to resolve this issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96/+bug/616394

Only problem is, I followed the instructions at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:nvidia and I can't seem to find the /usr/src/linux directory referred to in the guide. I only have the directory kernel-patches under /usr/src/. I double-checked that linux-source package is installed. What am I doing wrong here?
    @ernia, this is a different laptop, I haven't overwritten the boot image since I never did an upgrade on this. To clarify, this is a fresh install, and I set out to first configure xorg. Also, I did not build the module, I simply ran "tazhw setup nvidia --non-free". The module intel-agp is loaded by tazhw as part of configuring nvidia.

I was able to get past the nouveau issue by blacklisting it. However, that does not solve the issue. Apparently that module was being loaded because that time I had tried the nv driver first. And nouveau was leftover from that.
    linux-headers should be enough to build the module, i don't know if the doc is updated or not, but in my opinion you should just install linux-headers and run the nvidia installer
    ok thanks, I'll try that in a minute.
    ok this is wierd. tazpkg cannot find linux-headers in the package list. And I can't find it in the package database either.
    Seems like it is now split into linux-api-headers and linux-module-headers. I take it module is the one I need?
    Ok, that worked. The latest driver from nvidia (260.19.21) solves this issue.

@ernia, thanks for all the help. For anyone else with this issue, note that nvidia non-free driver requires linux-agp installed and the module nvidia-agp loaded.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social