This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] nvidia videocard installation question / problem
  • Hi all

I have a Nvidia videocard and I wanted to install the proprietary driver. I saw the package "nvidia" and get-installed it. Then I edited xorg.conf. After rebooting Slitaz falls back to console. If I put "nv" instead of "nvidia" in my xorg.conf, then everything is fine.

Using nvidia-xconfig didnt't change anything.

The nvidia-installer from the package nvidia showed me this error:
    ERROR: No package found for installation.

Then I tried the way described here: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:nvidia
    Compiling did not work, but since then I have the actual nvidia-driver (195.36.15)!?

Because I want to use Slitaz on different machines, I want to understand what went wrong and how do I install the proprietary nvidia-driver, so I can reproduce it next time. Is there an easy way using the package nvidia to install the driver?

Thanks in advance
    Killerkaninchen
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Slitaz 3.0 stable release (countdown has begin) has a tazhw box for nvidia installation. Try it. Report back
  • erniaernia March 2010
    hi, i have a nvidia card in my home computer and i want to boot slitaz in different machines.
    i've installed the nvidia packages and i had no problem.
    to boot in different machines i don't use xorg.conf at all because new xorg autoconfigures itself without xorg.conf and i get the right keyboard with the hal rule i linked you in another thread. What have i done is explained here:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/3526/#Comment_3526
    To have 1280x1024 in virtualbox and nvidia at home i use this /etc/init.d/local.sh
    if [ -e /etc/X11/xorg.conf ]; then
    rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    fi

if grep -q VBOX /proc/ide/hd*/model; then
    cp /root/xorg.conf.vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    fi

if lspci | grep -q GeForce ; then
    cp /root/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    fi

i get the module for virtualbox from guest additions.
    if you want to give it a try you can download the various xorg.conf.* from here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/369206481/xorg.tar.gz.html
  • erniaernia March 2010
    i'm not sure to have correctly explained myself, as you can see i do use a xorg.conf only if i know the maching i'm booting in.
  • @jozee: When will it be released?

@ernia: I want to install slitaz on different machines as desktop OS - not using a live-USB. Your link is about an USB-Stick on different machines...
  • erniaernia March 2010
    sorry, i've misunderstood, but i have same modifications in my hdinstall too, because i have it in an usb disk which i move between different machines,
    again, sorry
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @jozee: When will it be released?

Check out the website. Its released as of now.
  • Now I had the time to try out the new release. To configure my nvidia card, I used the "tazhw box" and it works...

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social