This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

SOLVED hdinstall from liveusb (was "is doc handobook manual installation wrong?")
  • erniaernia March 2010
    The installation by hand section in this document http://doc.slitaz.org/en:handbook:installation says to give these commands:
     # cd /mnt/target
    # lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id
    # rm rootfs.gz init

but "lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id" will lead cpio trying to overwrite files in / and not to write files in /mnt/target, as usual if i'm not wrong.
    i got it working installing the real cpio (tazpkg get-install cpio) and changing "lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id" in "lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id --no-absolute-filenames".
    i don't know how to do this with busybox's cpio.
    should the doc get corrected?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    Mount the empty partition your installing on to /mnt/target

Copy the vmlinuz to /mnt/target

Copy rootfs.gz to /mnt/target

The partition your installing on which is mounted to /mnt/target contains vmlinuz and rootfs.gz

cd to /mnt/target

You are in /mnt/target with 2 files rootfs.gz and vmlinuz

Now you
    tux@slitaz:/mnt/target$ lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id

The rootfs is extracted out of rootfs.gz from /mnt/target so it extracts into /mnt/target

There was no rootfs on the install partition which is mounted on /mnt/target prior to the previous step.

You can't overwrite something that doesn't exist.

• erniaernia March 2010
    I said "overwrite file in /" , not in /mnt/target.
    But the fault was mine, i did not use an iso's rootfs but the one of my liveusb created with tazusb, because i did not want to loose the work i've done in my liveusb.
    Thanks for your "kind" reply
  • Hi ernia,
    good job !!! I also never had the idear that the problem with cpio comes from the "wrong" rootfs.gz. I would mention this in the HDD Install Tutorial.
  • Speed3210Speed3210 January 2011
    is there someone who can translate this in german for me ? :D i need this tutorial :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social