This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Website Lacks Prominent System Requirements, Could Use "Flavor Finder" Recommendation Script
  • slicelslicel March 2010
    System requirements for each flavor and for apps like the installer and tazlito (and other basic information like dual-boot grub menus) are not prominent to the new user when visiting the website and downloading an iso. This creates immediate frustrations for new users and frequent, similar forum pleas for basic information.

Typing ram requirements on the homepage and download page would be a good start.

Typing the system requirements would be sufficient but you also could let people ask a "Flavor Finder" script for a recommended flavor based on common factors that cause problems and spurred the creation of certain flavors.

Input boxes-

Processor 0MHz
    RAM 0MB
    Hard Drive 0MB
    Bootable USB Drive 0MB
    Graphics Nvidia

Output-

Flavor X

Disclaimer-

"Based on experiences of users with systems like yours, we recommend trying this flavor. Usually, more than one flavor works. Some hardware might not work with the recommended flavor. For more information, visit the handbook or forum."

• RuppRupp March 2010
    That sounds like a great idea but there really isn't a whole lot you can do with that. No matter the flavor it is either regular or lowram. So a lot of input just to display two options.

Rupp
  • slicelslicel March 2010
    I have seen a couple dozen iso links.

People continue to ask in the forum and the answer is not always regular stable or loram stable.

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/771/toshiba-portege-and-x

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/740/questions-about-installing-on-64mb-computer

The lack of basic documentation can create bad word of mouth. For every confused person who posts, there could be a hundred people who burned a number of "coasters" (wasted CDs) and quit slitaz without bothering to register or post.
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    If I can just add this. It is nice to make your own flavor and post it, but to me that is a major problem with Puppy Linux. The puplets(flavors) have taken over the real release. I don't want to see that happen with Slitaz. The knowledgable people in IRC and their forums can't always help because some of the puplets are hacked to pieces and have things added on.

Rupp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social