This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

how to force 60 Hz vertical on ati video driver
  • djrobertdjrobert March 2010
    I have been having difficulty getting video. when I use the slitaz boot commands vga=791 and screen=1024x768x16 the resolution is clearly properly set during the kernal bootup. however no matter what I set the screen parameters to when the machine goes into the graphics mode the vertical refresh seems to default to something other than the 60 Hz both my LCD monitors require. Is there any way to force the ati driver into 60Hz?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    We need to know if you have xvesa or xorg.
    What version of slitaz(stable-2.0 or cooking+release date),running off burned cd, usbkey, hard drive ?
    Did you install xorg on stable or cooking prior to 2010 ?
  • djrobertdjrobert March 2010
    all the versions I've tried seem to behave the same (2.0 stable and the last three versions of cooking) I'm booting from a USB thumb drive created with unetbootin. hardware is an HP t5700 thin client which has an onboard ati rage xc. behavior doesn't seem to change when I use slitaz screen=xorg. on bootup I am not presented with the resolution selection screen I get on other platforms I've tried. I tried transplanting the xorg.conf from puppy linux (which seems to work fine stock) but haven't been able to make it work. I'm new to slitaz and admittedly pretty half-assed at linux in general. any suggestions would be most welcome!
  • mojomojo March 2010
    use slitaz-2.0 has xvesa
    xvesa runs @ 60HZ the vesa standard which is what you request
    in xterminal type
    xvesa -listmodes
    show all supported modes
    xvesa -help
    show all options
    on a persistant or full install slim login manager starts xvesa with settings in
    /etc/slim.conf
    My /etc/slim.conf for ati rage2c driving 21" lcd 1440x900 display:
    default_xserver /usr/bin/Xvesa
    xserver_arguments -ac -shadow dpms +extension Composite -screen 1024x768x24

To bypass slim.conf and choose same resolution but fewer colors I enter this bootcode

slitaz screen=1024x768x16

When I try 1280x1024x16 my 1440x990 lcd gives me a black screen because 1024 is larger than 990.

The resolution setting of the video card must be equal to or less than the monitors rated max resolution.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social