This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Portable App
  • moulefritemoulefrite March 2010
    Hello,

Well, I would like to share the availability of a interesting project

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/RUNZ

The purpose is to create autonomous portable linux app , as likely the window's .exe ones

Here, you can have a look of what's been already done for Linux and Windows !!

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Portable_Applications

(The Apps have been made portable with ThinApp and are runned under Wine)

Slitaz is truly accomplished but Ms Office use is still necessary for a worker.

...thus, my goal is to create a .runz that will contain only a Wine + Ms Office build with ThinApp and we can drop , without dependencies , on usb key . Therefore, no install which will increase deadfully my iso (frugall install) ! ;)

To run a .runk , this is required

http://hacktolive.org/files/runz/runz-framework-0.8.9.8.deb

Is there anybody suffisiently good and interesed to compil this package in .takpkg one and start with me to make a tutorial ?

See you friends :)
  • kultexkultex March 2010
    "Ms Office use is still necessary for a worker" - I dont think, thats true - Softmaker Office Linux is running fine in SliTaz and nearly opens all MS-Office dokuments - you just can try it out with he new public beta 2010

http://www.softmaker.com/english/

and I think you can run Softmaker Office from home, so its not increasing the iso and by the way, its much smaller and quicker than MS Office....

Guy,

ok ok , what's the purpose of this forum ? Spamming for some commercial add ? lol

Try to keep on mind that "which is the best Office" is not the subject here ;)
    the question is who is spamming here around? As I understand you want to do a tazpkg, that installs MS Office - without a licence? There is OpenOffice which does a very good job, but I agree to you, in professional Office workspace, it has incompatibilities. Here is Softmaker Office - quite cheap compared to a licence of MS Office - I am not making commercial add ...
    Dear Friend Kultex,

" the question is who is spamming here around? " .... mmmh ... let me see .. you ? xD

I have the MSOffice licence of course. Does it make a God damn sense for me and millions to buy your silly stuff ? :o/

Come on, let us focus on the subject
  • seawolfseawolf March 2010
    To cut the crap:

Hello @moulefrite --

I just tested the RunZ framework and FileZilla build a little with good results and a couple of issues.

Firstly, installation:
    The .deb package can easily be converted and installed with:
    tazpkg convert runz-framework-xxxxx.deb
    (whatever the proper file-name was) to produce a TazPkg.

The good news it that said package installed fine; binaries seemed to be in the right place etc. but I didn't check libraries.

I would prefer it if the source code was available, as I'm not sure of how Debs are packaged. While there was no messages on the console at all (suggesting no errors at all), we would have more assurance about dependencies, compilation options etc. when TazPkging it.

Going a little deeper:
    It would seem from the docs that the
    apps are statically-linked packages, archived in to an ISO, must like a CD-ROM image. By renaming the RunZ to *.iso and mounting it as one would with a CD image (-t iso9660 -o loop,ro) the binaries run fine.

I must admit my testing wasn't foolproof; I only ran the FileZilla binary, didn't connect, nor did I try something else. I should imagine that if Google Earth ran okay on a clean Stable, it'd be a damn good sign of being worthy of note.

This is a very intriguing idea to me for SliTaz. While I strongly recommend against it for the vast majority of apps, a couple might be a PITA to compile on SliTaz may be cross-compiled with static libraries from other distros. They would end up as *huge* packages though, evident from the 13MB FTP client!

Please take note though: Windows apps basically CANNOT run on Linux. Any Linux. They need to be translated, emulated or whatever; WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator) creates a fake Windows environment in which it fools the EXEs that Windows is present when in fact it's WINE's cover-up stuff. I think MS Office will take a *lot* of work to get it to run this easily. Somebody please prove me wrong :D

Cheers.
    As a side-note, I agree that MS Office is still necessary for *some* office workers. I admit that when using OOo for university essays etc., some bits are a PITA that MS have sorted out. I'm not saying MSO is perfect, far from it, but it's getting better and it's the one package I don't begrudge using on a Windows box. I do, however, begrude using Windows in the first place!
    Anyway...
    thats is the appbrowser from wine telling about MS office on linux using wine

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31
    These portable apps assume you have at least GNOME and GTK+ libraries AND KDE and QT libraries on your system
    I have done it on XFCE without any problems, never tryed it on openbox and I have no interest to try it.....
    I tried FZ on SliTaz. It was needing libnss3.so.ld though, not provided in the repos as of a week or so ago...

Xfce uses Gtk libraries; have you tried the Skype one which is a Qt app? That then presents the issue of the sound server, especially on a non-PulseAudio distro :)

Hi everybody,

I've done a wine tazpkg based on a previous version that the one who figures on the current cooking list ... and it works fine . Except Macros , VB and so on .. :(

You know , I've notice that the nearly exclusive thing we need Wine , is to ... run Ms Office..
    and feel stupid to reboot to windoys (or even launch a virtual box session)

But because, we don't want to implement all these windows and wine stuff on our PURE Slitaz ;) , I was just hoping to have a kind of ultimate autonomous linux (slitaz compatible) executable. Which inside you have Wine + MsOffice + all the pre-fix links to work with a base version of Slitaz . This way you can keep it , even when you make/change your rootfs.gz

Of course, the matter is not to host a illegal package on this website ;D .. no , but just make a good little tutorial

Kind regards

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social