This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Display issue: boot and end up with vertical green, red, and blue lines, no window manager
  • keltorsorikeltorsori March 2010
    I've been pounding my head against the wall on this one. I have tried booting the 2.0, lo-ram, lo-ram cd, just x, cooking recent versions, etc, I have the same problem with all of them, once it gets past the initial boot phase I just get green, red, and blue vertical lines.
    It will boot fine to the console if I include "screen=text" in the boot arguments, but any other options like screen=1024x768x16 or 800x600x16 or nothing or anything all result in just a series of thin vertical lines. Any thoughts? I've tried booting to console and installing Xorg, but I can't get it to launch after install (get lots of Gtk errors and dumped back to console).

Any thoughts?

I'm installing on an older system, Compaq Deskpro EN with a PIII. It has run other distros fine, but I REALLY like slitaz and want to move these extra Deskpros we have at school to it.
  • slicelslicel March 2010
    Color lines sound like another symptom that indicates the need for xorg but I never had any success in installing xorg on a flavor or installing a xorg flavor.
    The funny thing is other distros that use xserver (like u-lite) work just fine.
    Nobody? My school would be eternally grateful for any suggestions, we've got about 20 of these Deskpro's that would be serviceable web browsing and lite word processing machines with a nice, lite distro like this one. We've tried others like DSL and puppy but both have their own problems. So far slitaz has all that we're looking for (and runs fine on our other PIII machines) anybody with any ideas?
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    xorg is included by default in the latest cooking.
    Got it, same problem still. :(
    I hate to have 30 serviceable machines out to pasture...need to figure out something...
  • erniaernia March 2010
    same issue happened to me in an old machine at work. being paid to work and not to understand linux (sigh) i did not investigate and rebooted with knoppix, which if i did not get wrong uses the old intel i810 video driver.
    so you could try, if output of lspci shows you that you have an intel VGA card, to install xorg-xf86-video-intel or you could edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and insert your monitor Hsync and Vsync.
    can't think of anything else.
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    Does Puppy Linux work? You can copy the xorg.conf from it and put it right into Slitaz with little modifying. That is what I had to do. I didn't really have to do that it just saved me a bunch of time lol.

Rupp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social