This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

chinese characters display/input on SliTaz 2.0
  • toda_IItoda_II March 2010
    Hey, I'm fairly new to SliTaz 2.0. I am satisfied with the English version of the OS and have no intention to get to a fully Chinese OS as I am not so familiar with the Chinese characters. But I would like to know how can I at least install a software that can allow me to view Chinese characters or type the words. I've tried WINE and SCIM but I still can't view Chinese words. Does anyone know the commandline for it?
  • plmdayplmday March 2010
    toda_II,

You need install some packages containing Chinese font sets for X. For viewing Chinese I recommend wqy-bitmapfont and wqy-microhei. Unfortunately, these two packages are only available for the cooking branch, not for stable. I guess if you wanna install it, you have to first switch to the cooking branch. (Don't download the packages for cooking and try installing it in your stable system, it won't work due to the recent format change of slitaz package, someone has reported failing to install other packages in the same way).

For Chinese input, SCIM will do. At the moment, I see only scim-pinyin in the package database for cooking, just install it using tazpkg or the GUI installer. You need it to input Chinese by Pinyin. Actually I use it myself.

Hope it helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social