This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How to make my printer available for gui applications?
  • Hi,
    After a long, but successfull, installation of my printer to parallel port, I am faced to the following:

a) printing a text with something like:

# lpr -P brother_hl720 toto.txt

works like a charm. :)

b) but when I'd like to print something from "epdfview", "firefox", "gnumeric" or from whatever GUI application, the only printer listed is: print to a file. My printer brother_hl720 is not in the list.

Any idea on what I am missing to make my printer available to GUI application?
    Thank you.
    Stephane

• slicelslicel February 2011
    I once had abiword automatically recognize my printer and later in a different installation not recognize it.  I did not investigate at the time but here are two ideas to try-

Check that your printer is not only installed but is set as the system default printer in cups or anywhere else.

Install hal-cups-utils in case that is what spreads the word.

Other people might know better but they did not respond so those ideas might be worth trying.
  • slicelslicel March 2011
    You also could try loading cupsd at boot or try samba.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    You do know this is over a year old... Also your solution doesn't tell somebody how to to add cupsd or samba to boot.
  • DarjeelingDarjeeling March 2011

> Also your solution doesn't tell somebody how to to add cupsd or samba to boot.

... you can add cupsd to the startup daemons in /etc/rcS.conf. The line should then look something like this: RUN_DAEMONS="dbus hald firewall cupsd slim"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social