This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Set up printing on 2.0
  • chuckachucka March 2010
    I followed the other threads on printing, seems I need the foomatic packages, but they don't seem to be in
    the repository for 2.0. Still learning this form of linux (slackware oldie). Is there any other place to find the packages, my laserjet1200 is USB-connected, but Cups doesn't appear to see any usb connections in the config page. I already installed the usbutils package but that didnt help. Thanks!
  • mojomojo March 2010
    Is the config you speak of from cups setup @ browser address

http://localhost:631 add printer Device: dropdown menu ?

Post the output with printer connected and powered up from

these commands as root

lsusb

here your looking for a description of your printer

and

lpinfo -v

here your looking for direct usb: //HP/your printer

mojo, yes, that is where the problem shows up, in the cups 'configure printer' browser window. Sorry I haven't learned how to copy from the shell, but
    lsusb: does list my mouse, and also my HP Laserjet 1200, the line for the printer says "Bus 003 Dev002: ID 03fo:0317 Hewlett Packard Laserjet 1200
    >lpinfo-v
    lists these : Network socket, network http, network ipp, network lpd and direct scsi.
    I have my Slitaz 2.0 installed in 1st partition and multiboot windows+1 other linux using grub. AMD64 X2 4200 with 3GB ram, ATI 5500 graphics. Netconfig is automatic, which I love, the HD install was easy, and I like the package manager (not sure whether to do a "upgrade all" yet though). Thanks!
  • mojomojo March 2010
    No direct usb:
    Xterm as root
    modprobe usblp
    enter
    then
    lsmod | grep usblp
    to verify module loaded
    then
    lpinfo -v
    to see if direct usb:
    appears,if so it should show up in devices:of cups
    to load usblp at boot
    subox tazctrlboxInitialization tab,add usblp to Load Modules:
    Click Change button exit out

Copy from xterm:highlight text with left mouse button held down
    Paste to and from xterm:click scroll wheel button

Sakura is a terminal program that has a context menu like a web browser for copy,paste.and many other options like tabs,colors,etc.

I tried a tazpkg upgrade once and it was a total failure.
    If you value the install your upgrading use partimage to back it up.
    Thanks mojo for the warning on "upgrading". I think progress is being made on the printing mystery. Modprobe usblp worked, lsmod shows the usblp module loaded...but lpinfo -v still does not list anything about direct usb, still the same listing as before, and can't install printer. Also, cannot access the cups admin page without going into a terminal and executing the "cupsd" command. Something missing in a config file someplace I suppose. Appreciate your digging at this with me.
  • mojomojo March 2010
    Glad to help, you have the right attitude.
    The commands to start and stop cupsd
    root@slitaz:/etc/init.d/cupsd start
    root@slitaz:/etc/init.d/cupsd stop
    verify cupsd is running
    root@slitaz:ps | grep cupsd
    output if running
    1461 root   /usr/sbin/cupsd
    1919 root grep cupsd

to start cupsd at boot
    subox tazctrlbox
    Initialization tab,add cupsd to Run daemons:
    Click Change button exit out
    Reboot with the printer on and connected
    Verify cupsd is running
    We're looking for direct usb:
    or something similar in response to
    lpinfo -v
    try printing text direct with this command
    echo -en "\rHello\r\f" >/dev/usb/lp0

I can't test any of this out, no USB printer...

mojo>printing test worked! I had already used the gui thing to add the cupsd daemon (it just seemed logical so I did that last night). still no joy on the device listings :
    slitaroot@slitaz:~# lpinfo -v
    network socket
    network http
    network ipp
    network lpd
    direct scsi
    Puzzling. This printer will work with a serial cable, but sadly, the new computer i built has no such output. Printer does work though, in other distro (SlamD64).
    ~thks

Mo-Jo !Success! . Now let's hope it lasts,haha. After some lengthy digging on the search engines, I found a solution:
    If you are using a USB->Parallel adapter, you'll want to do the following:

* Add your printer by selecting a different connection type (since usb and parallel will not be listed)
    * Edit the file /etc/cups/printers.conf
    * Change the DeviceID line to read: DeviceID = parallel:/dev/usb/lp0

Note: that it is "parallel:" NOT "usb:" - the USB part is handled by the usb drivers. To CUPS it should show up as a parallel port. CUPS doesn't know to look for USB->Parallel adapters, but if you manually configure it, it will work. }
    *** Now, this dealt with somebody using a USB-parallel adapter, but the fix worked just the same for my HP1200 Laserjet. I just edited the /etc/cups/printers.conf page, put in the DeviceID line "DeviceID=/dev/usb/lp0" and it works. Can print from web browser and from Leafpad. I think this change would have been done by the HPLIP package, had it been available in Slitaz. Thanks for the assistance, I'll continue to try this out and post back if it borks.
    The next day.
    My trick didn't survive a reboot, for some reason. and I now have 2 printers listed as laserjet that show up in the cups setup page (different drivers though)
    but neither work. I'm befuddled.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social