This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

problem with Xorg in Cooking-Snow versions
  • Terry_MaidenTerry_Maiden February 2010
    Whenever I attempt to run a Slitaz-Snow version (except the Xvesa one) the screen is always 800x600. I prefer something larger. I donot have this problem with 2.0 or older cooking versions. I suspect they are running Xvesa.

Another problem is with the Net-Surf browser. It can't do java-script so I can't get to my web mail. More and more websites are going to java-script so any browser that can't becomes useless.
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    The xorg snow version uses the vesa driver as default. You can verify this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could you please post the output of

$ lspci | grep VGA
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Helloe Terry_Maiden,

as DAY suggests, this is probably a problem of driver of your graphic card. The command he told you will let you know the name of this card, from which you can guess, hopefully, what is the more appropriate driver for it.

For example on my laptop:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 (rev 82)

You can see that I have a Trident graphic card. Now to find the name of the corresponding driver for xorg in slitaz:
    $ tazpkg search xorg-xf86-video

Search result for : xorg-xf86-video

Installed packages
    ================================================================================
    xorg-xf86-video-trident 1.3.0 x-window
    xorg-xf86-video-vesa 2.0.0 x-window
    ================================================================================
    2 installed package(s) found for : xorg-xf86-video

Available packages name-version
    xorg-xf86-video-ati-6.9.0
    xorg-xf86-video-geode-2.10.1
    xorg-xf86-video-i740-1.2.0
    xorg-xf86-video-intel-2.7.0
    xorg-xf86-video-mga-1.4.9
    xorg-xf86-video-neomagic-1.2.1
    xorg-xf86-video-nv-2.1.12
    xorg-xf86-video-s3-0.6.0
    xorg-xf86-video-savage-2.2.1
    xorg-xf86-video-sis-0.10.2
    xorg-xf86-video-trident-1.3.0
    xorg-xf86-video-v4l-0.2.0
    xorg-xf86-video-vesa-2.0.0
    13 available package(s) found for : xorg-xf86-video

As you can see, the driver xorg-xf86-video-trident is the right one (this is the reason why I've already installed it with tazpkg).

Finally, when the driver is installed, you have to edit as root the Xorg's config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, look for a line containing 'Driver "vesa"' replace "vesa" by e.g. "trident" (in my case, to be adapted to yours), save and restart.

Note: Save a copy of xorg.conf before modifying it, in case of.

Sheers,
    LuX.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social