This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

tazusb generates bigger rootfs.gz
  • alsdkjgoalsdkjgo October 2009
    Tazusb uses lzma default value : -d23 (8MB history)
    Tazlito uses -d24 (16MB history, slower)
    Try:
    $ unlzma -c rootfs.gz | lzma e new-rootfs.gz -si -d24

-pascal
    Hi!

I try to generate rootfs.gz with lzma. Even with it, justX 2.0 rootfs.gz is bigger than original.

1. ) http://download.tuxfamily.org/slitaz/iso/2.0/flavors/slitaz-2.0-justX.iso
    2. ) unpacked and copy vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz, rootfs.gz (ls -lah, 12.3MB) to usb stick, modified grub (my only custom setting is HOME=), succesfully booted into justX.
    4. ) no update/upgrade, new packages or custom settings, plain justX roofs.gz and vmlinux-2.6.25.5
    3. ) tazusb writefs lzma

---> slightly bigger rootfs.gz (12.2M) than original

Why tazusb lzma is producing bigger roofs.gz than original? Should it produce exactly the same roofs.gz as original, with plain unmodified justX rootfs.gz?
  • slicelslicel October 2009
    I think the original live cd fs is lzma, which compresses to a smaller size (and might take longer to compress/decompress) than gzip does.

The original live cd lzma does not have all the information you added to setup tazusb (and maybe screen, sound, etc.) and so might be smaller than the tazusb lzma.

I could be wrong.
    Thankyou. Almost checked myself from scripts :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social