This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

dual booting
  • joshjosh January 2010
    ok, im running pclinuxos as my main os. if i dual boot slitaz will it still run as fast as it does when its running from the cd or will it run just like the linux i have?
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    It will run less fast and take less ram because the system will be on your hdd and not in ram. In all case Slitaz is a fast system.

You can also put the rootfs.gz and the linux-slitaz kernel on your HDD and boot this as a live system with some boot configuration commands and a persistent home, but it's more hard to customize.
  • joshjosh January 2010
    well, would there really be a point to add slitaz to HDD when main os is linux, i mean they are pretty much the same?.....
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    I don't understand the expression would there really be a point ;)

I think that the advantage of having Slitaz installed on HDD is that you can add more applications and use a full desktop with a fast system. I don't use pclinuxos but I know it have lights versions (as light as Slitaz?), so I let you compare and chose what are your needs.
  • joshjosh January 2010
    what i mean is....

since i have linux already, isnt slitaz linux based. i know the web browsing is lightning fast. the only draw back i have from using it is the no flash support.
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    Yes, SliTaz is a Linux distribution, as anything with a GNU/Linux kernel and extra software (the definition of a distro) is. The advantage of SliTaz over other distros is speed, lightweightness and lovely people on the forums :)

It's a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. I have Fedora running alongside SliTaz and use F12 for the majority simply because there are bigger Fedora repos and I like KDE4. If I just want to look one thing up on the Internet, I'll boot SliTaz as I'll be there in seconds.

Moreover, it's arguably worth having a second distro installed in case something goes badly wrong and one doesn't have a LiveCD (erm... like SLitaz!) to hand.
  • joshjosh February 2010
    i know the web browsing is insane fast, but most of the sites i say on are flash dependent :(
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh February 2010
    There's an easy way to install flash on Slitaz :
    tazpkg get-install flash-plugin

It works for firefox but I don't know if netsurf support flash.
  • joshjosh February 2010
    really? i thought i tried that, will try when i get home. :)
  • joshjosh February 2010
    didnt work...:(

unable to find plugin in mirrored package list
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh February 2010
    @josh
    In precedents version of tazpkg, get-install flash-plugin did : download the get-flash-plugin script and execute it. The new version doesn't do that, so you must install get-flash-plugin and execute it by tipping get-flash-plugin in your term.

If it is correctly installed you can find the package flash-plugin listed with your installed packages and the file /usr/share/flash/libflashplayer.so in your system. Then flash must works in firefox.
  • joshjosh February 2010
    ive tried to run the script... i just get errors
  • babaorumbabaorum February 2010
    Hi, have you run it as *root* ?
    If not, try it. If you did, please post error log.
  • joshjosh February 2010
    its working now, sry. it was in my "idiots guide to flash" post. thanks for everyones help tho!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social