This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Remastering
  • newusernewuser January 2010
    I have tried to remaster the Slitaz Solutions from the CD. I have tried all the options possible, so I tried this:
    #!/bin/sh
    mkdir tmp/backup
    for dir in bin etc home lib root sbin usr var ; do
    tar cv $dir | gzip -9 -c > tmp/backup/$dir.tar.gz

now I have the compressed directories and I can remake the rootfs in my development system, however I have a problem, I am unable to login as tux when I remaster the system, root works OK.

Please help

• nsawnsaw January 2010
    Same thing here when using tazlito. After I looked at tux's home directory, everythings gone. slim supposed to look at .xinitrc and .config/slitaz/applications.conf in user's home directory (take a look at slim's configuration file in /etc/slim.conf at lines login_cmd). That's why slim can't log you in to the system. As a simple and temporary workaround, I suggest make a backup copy of your tux's home directory (especially all .files) then apply it to the new remaster by-hand.
    I tried adding a new user , which should do the same, but still the same problem, there must be something that could make a virgin copy of the system just as it comes in rootfs, I have tried opening the original rootfs.gz in my system but most of thr times it decompresses in the / directory and screws my system up.
  • nsawnsaw January 2010
    I apologize, there were mistakes in my previous comment, I have it corrected.

Adding a new user won't resolve the problem, because by default (based on /etc/adduser.conf) it copy over all files in /etc/skel directory, which have no needed files to let slim setup the apropriate desktop.

However, when I tried adding a new user using adduser command, it only create an empty home directory for the new user, so the problem remain. Then I copy these files manually from tux's home directory to new user's home directory:

.gtkrc-2.0
    .profile
    .Xdefaults
    .xinitrc
    .config/slitaz/applications.conf

Afterward, the new user can login to desktop. To just let your user login to the desktop, copy the last 2 file (make sure applications.conf get copied to .config/slitaz directory). The other files just to make the desktop more or less look like tux's desktop setting.
  • jf_jf_ January 2010
    newuser - how do you open rootfs.gz? I'm looking at the file, and it's not in gzip format. Nor bzip2, nor tar.
  • jf_jf_ January 2010
    (btw, i'm remastering, and having the same problem too. ~tux/.xinitrc and .config/slitaz/applications.conf is missing too in the remastered iso)
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    @nsaw In my /etc/skel, it's just the .Xinitrc and .config/slitaz that are missing. Interesting. Either way, based on your experiences here, if those files were added to /etc/skel, simply adding a new user through the Control Box would work?
  • jf_jf_ January 2010
    thanks, seawolf, but it's apparently a misnomer. 'rootfs.gz' is in no way (for me - using cooking) a gzip file! It's an lzma instead.... (finally figured that out from the doc - thanks)
    I noticed in the slitaz-firefox that they added the slitaz directory to /usr/share and the /etc directories.

In case anybody is interested in sounds when logingin in and shutdown just add :
    aplay /usr/share/sounds/your.wav , to the end of rc.S ant at the top in rc.shutdown. I don't know if Slitaz have it.

• nsawnsaw January 2010
    @seawolf:
    Obiously, by copying ~/.xinitrc and ~/.config/slitaz/application.conf to /etc/skel will make new user created using tazctrlbox work.

By the way, how's your distro project going?
    I my self would like to make archlinux more or less like slitaz by removing unneeded files in packages and optimize it for pentium-m. I'm using eeepc 700 here.
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    @nsaw - Good, perhaps filing a bug over at http://labs.slitaz.org/ with this info will get user creation working in v3, if it's such a small change to the code.

My project is going quite well, thanks; it's just finding time outside of university work! SliTaz is a great base to work from, just package the files you need and add them to the list, or remove one lkine per package you don't want. I build my own generic kernel too, sits in like a charm. Really looking forward to v3 as it will include so many fixes from v2 stable.
  • jf_jf_ January 2010
    @nsaw - why not stick with slitaz as a base? What is it you want to bring over from Arch?
  • nsawnsaw January 2010
    @seawolf: Good for you, I hope it went well and if not too much, you may want to share the ongoing process with the rest of us in case anyone might get interested, not just for added knowledge, but also you might get a little help. As for the problem, it already been reported here http://labs.slitaz.org/issues/show/204.

@jf_ : SliTaz is great, as for arch, because it has relatively latest stable packages, more mature, and a lot of information resource (wiki and forum).
    I believe SliTaz will get its own time and I will be following it closely.
  • newusernewuser February 2010
    One problem I found with Slitaz is how tight it depends on other programs, if you make the slightest mistake it will break case in point, I changed one icon
    and put the wrong size now the program boots but I lost the Desktop menu and tux cannot login, however root does.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social