This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Broken items in cooking snow
  • slicelslicel January 2010
    The two xorg flavors that I tried both failed to boot all the way, giving server errors. Only the xvesa worked.

Two trouble-free apps are gone, gparted and epdfview.

Sound was broken until I did http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2132/#Comment_2132 . It was a fresh install with fresh updates so it might be that these old problems still are not fixed-
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/368/sound-not-working-module-loaded-but-device-node-is-missing
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/219/soundcard-not-detected/#Item_4

Slitaz abiword has never worked properly. Ubuntu abiword works. Slitaz abiword still has the same problem reported by me and someone else on the old forum about abiword displaying files with content as blank pages or nearly blank pages with strange symbols or occassional punctuation.

Slitaz openoffice does not work and has not worked for a long time. Ubuntu openoffice works. Slitaz openoffice appears to install and takes a half gb of hd space with java but does not open. Sometimes the menu has openoffice icons. Maybe it is related to http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/20/is-openoffice-installed/#Item_8 or to http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/596/#Comment_596 that mentioned 2gb ram not being enough to install openoffice. I have 2gb ram plus 2gb swap plus almost 2gb hd space free when I tried to install. If almost 6gb is not enough to install, that is opposite of slitaz credo for simple and light and more like microsoft system requirements.

Does slitaz have any reliable word processor?

Are any snow flavors for low ram? I could not find any explanations in site documentations.

Thank you.
    Snow scanner does not work.

Xsane cannot find the scanner.
    Lsusb does not see the scanner (usb utils installed).
    Lshw sees the scanner but reports that the usb scanner is unclaimed.

The scanner works in windows and worked in older slitaz.

In snow-
    No scanner.
    No word processor (no reliable one for doc files).
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    Hi,
    as I report here, scanner is found for me but tux have no access to it :
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/359/wiki-for-scanner

The last month, with core cooking home-builded, I've launched get-openoffice script from a live session on a PC with 2GBram, then I've repacked it and I've installed it on a Slitaz HDD system with 366Mhz, 64GBram+512GBswap and 6GB HDD and it works fine. I don't know if .doc files work with it and I can't test that now.

Abiword can open .doc files but not save them, wich can be a problem when sharing files with windows users. And on my several installs Abiword has a problem with copy/paste or cut/past.
    Hello.

I tried your scanner fix before my last post but it did not work so this problem must be different.

Abiword uses a fake doc (wrapped rtf) and ubuntu abiword works accordingly but slitaz abiword does not.

I also have copy/paste problems in slitaz abiword. Copy-pasting into leafpad and then copy-pasting from leafpad into abiword works.

The only openoffice that I have used in slitaz has been an old windows openoffice under wine.

Spending days to reply to a letter and finally giving up on slitaz and getting the job done with windows or ubuntu is why it is difficult to consider slitaz a practical os, despite its many virtues.

What is the openoffice name when using the command line? I tried many variations with nothing recognized.

How can I uninstall openoffice or other program that was installed by a get package? The package manager uninstall seems only to uninstall the get package but not the main program.

Thank you.
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    Hi,

I just install OpenOffice3 on a HDD Slitaz system with 1GB ram and 1.8GHz :

tazpkg get-install OpenOffice3

This command execute the get-OpenOffice3 script.
    It use a rpm to build the package, It took 10 min to build and install.
    It seems the builded tazpkg was removed during the operations, but you can repack it by typing :

tazpkg repack OpenOffice3

There is a difference between the get-* package and the package it get, in my case, I have :
    get-OpenOffice3, wich is the script to get OpenOffice3
    OpenOffice3, wich is the package builded by get-OpenOffice3

So for remove, it's :
    tazpkg remove OpenOffice3

I tried it, it works partially but leaves some files in the system (200k in usr/lib/openoffice; maybe there's other files but I don't make a full search on this subject). I guess it's a bug.

A last thing : I've tried to open and save .doc with OOOwriter, and it works :)
  • LuXLuX January 2010
    Hello!

* Slicel wrote:
    The two xorg flavors that I tried both failed to boot all the way, giving server errors. Only the xvesa worked. [..] Sound was broken [..] Slitaz abiword has never worked properly. [..] Slitaz openoffice does not work and has not worked for a long time.

I have tried the Slitaz-Xorg flavor (I have found only one such flavor on the web site). It worked at first boot, although lxpanel was missing. Only Xvesa never worked for me. Sound worked. Slitaz Abiword and OpenOffice3 always worked for me in 2.0 (not tried in this flavor).

Are crude reports helpfull?

I'm not an expert, but with such huge problems and not a single indication on their context, I think there is little hope that you can find any solution here or anywhere else. Is it what you intended to demonstrate?

Regards,

LuX.
    Lux, hello and thank you for your report of 2.0. All snow flavors are xorg except one ( http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking-snow/README.html ). I try to give feedback that README requested and hope to fix slitaz. I report problems, tests, conditions, contexts, error messages, comparisons, controlled variables, workarounds, links, and corroborations of problems or solutions reported by pre_historic94, pansko, gokhlayeh, and others. If you cannot see these details in paragraphs above, maybe it is a vanilla forum bug to report.

Gokhlayeh, thank you for answering some of my questions. "OpenOffice3" in xterm said sh not found, in the run dialog said cannot find child process, and in searchmonkey listed only the get package and not the main program, yet "tazpkg remove OpenOffice3" removed the Menu entries and freed a few hundred mb of hd space.

Can anyone explain these results?

What is the name of java for the command line? How do I find the names for other programs?

How do I fix display and paste problems in slitaz abiword? The slitaz preference for light apps probably means fixing abiword is more important than fixing openoffice.

Thank you.
  • slicelslicel February 2010
    I tried to reinstall openoffice with 700mb free on the partition and even the menu icons do not show now. It temporarily fills the partition with 0mb free but does not seem to install openoffice.

Will slitaz abiword be fixed for slitaz 3 or will slitaz offer other word processors in repos?

Thank you.
  • slicelslicel February 2010
    Bump for word processor problems from a year ago that are still in recent flavors.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social