This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Questions about Xvesa?? help me to understand, please
  • miguelmiguel January 2010
    Hi people:

I have test since yesterday many "lite" Linux for install one of them in a friend's old PC of mine and i discovery that slitaz its an excelent alternative (and seriously I though changa my actual ubuntu ^_^, becuase this one is very very fast). However, I didn't understand some things about Xvesa.

I have read in slitaz docs that "X server called Xvesa from the Xorg project" but in other parts in Internet says Xvesa is an "implementation" from XFree86. Probably, it's not important, but I couldn't find good information (in some cases contraditory) about Xvesa.

1.- My Laptop has 1280x800 px resolution and in some pages say Xvesa don't support that reolution (1024x768 px). is it true?? For my friend's computer is not a big problem, but for me may a better idea install Xorg.

2.- In particular, Xvesa does not have a 256-color mode (depth=8). But in resolution option there is a True Color option that, from Wikipedia, means 256-color mode for Red, Green and Blue. (contradictory!!)

3.- All letters and images have an annoying blur that could not fix, I tried with Openbox Configuration Manager but nothing. Any suggestions??

4.- What is the difference betwen Windows Manager (OpenBox, JWM) and Desktop environment (Enlightenment)?? and Which one do slitaz use??

That's all!!

(just for now!!)

THX.
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    Hi Miguel --

1) XVesa and XOrg use the same drivers etc. but XOrg has more capabilities and this thus larger, arguably slower etc. One of the features is non-standard resolutions: I too have a widescreen (1024x600) which XVesa wouldn't like, so I installed XOrg and all is well. I would argue that performance etc. with XOrg is about the same as XVesa anyways.

3) I suspect the blur is that the 1024x768 resolution is stretched to 1280px wide so it's still 1024x768. Each pixel is then no longer square but rectangular, the inverse to watching a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 television where it gets squished up, and the movie stars look even more unhealthily thin.

4) The Window Managers are effectively your desktops. They have different features and varying is style, speed and size because of this. OpenBox is SLiTaz's default.

Enlightenment (E17) is a lovely-looking but experimental one, GNOME & KDE are the big boys but need a lot more software behind it (i.e. package dependancies). The majority use GTK to generate buttons, panels, text boxes etc. while KDE uses Qt & E17 it's own one... I forget what its called!

HIH
    seawolf thx for the time dedicated to answer me. First and Second point are clear for me now, but the point 4... I 've tested the slitaz stable version and apparently this one use JWM by default as windows manager. Because the I saw the openbox don't have a start menu and a bar at the bottom of screem instead JWM have it (and i have read in somewhere slitaz use JWM, but I didn't find now. Probably it has changed in last days).
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    Sorry Miguel, I didn't read your question properly! WIndow managers apply the titlebar etc. to application windows, whereas desktops provide the wallpaper, panel, menu etc. around it.

A less succint definition can be found on each Wikipedia page:

A WM controls the placement and appearance of windows. Most window managers are designed to help provide a desktop environment. They work in conjunction with the underlying graphical system which provides required functionality such as support for graphics hardware, pointing devices, and a keyboard, A WM controls the placement and appearance of windows. Most window managers are designed to help provide a desktop environment. They work in conjunction with the underlying graphical system which provides required functionality such as support for graphics hardware, pointing devices, and a keyboard, and are often written and created using a widget toolkit.

[Notice how low-level this gets!]

A desktop environment typically consists of icons, windows, toolbars, folders, wallpapers, and desktop widgets.

[It's a sum of the parts, one of which is a WM]

In SliTaz, I think the WM in JWM and the desktop is OpenBox. OB might have it's own WM, though!

HIH
    Thanks again seawolf. I thought that but I was not sure. Its a little difficult to distinguish which specific work this "programs" realizes. I remember that a little time ago I installed openbox in ubuntu and it give me the option for keeping the gnome tools but in that moment i didn't understand which differences openbox really had. I thought this "WM" could not work together.
  • deadwaitdeadwait January 2010
    hi,
    the in slitaz 2.0 and cooking the wm is openbox and the desktop environment is lxde, jwm was the window manager used in slitaz 1.0 stable, even slitaz 1.0 cooking used openbox if i remember correctly.
    the start menu and bar is lxpanel, which is part of lxde.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social