This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Samsung N140 issues
  • bikepunkbikepunk December 2009
    Hi all

I'm back on slitaz, and now from a Samsung N140 netbook.

I'll use this thread to give feed back about how it works and to ask help when needed.

-the speakers work out of the box

-Xvesa cannot display over 800x600

-the ethernet works out of the box.

-for the wireless, I had to install the windows xp driver using tazndisbox, it works quite well, BUT after install, at some point, with apparently no reason, I cannot connect to the internet, that's weird.

I mean : the wireless worked properly during a few boots, but now, the iwconfig seems right :
    tux@slitaz:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

dummy0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"SpeedTouch24DB13"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:1D:68:77:4F:FB
    Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:46/100 Signal level:-66 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eventhough I cannot access to the internet

I'm curious to learn why and how to fix it, because for now I have to use a liveUSB to conncect to the internet.
  • seawolfseawolf December 2009
    Hi BikePunk --

I have an N130 with the same issues:

- installing X.org resolved the resolutions problems. Pretty sure the display only goes up to 1024x600, not 1280x800.

- I used the WIndows XP drivers form the other parititon as oyu did. I cannot, however, connect to *protected* wireless networks! This is also the case in Fedora 12 so will probably be picking up a £20 USB wireless dongle as I did for my desktop, which can connect to them!

- The brightness keys will work if you 'attach' them to either the XFree86BrightnessUp command or `xbacklight -set +10%` program. I've yet to do this!

Good luck!
  • jozeejozee December 2009
    Which wireless cards do you have? Please check wiki for the commands to troubleshoot and report here.

For resolution, also check out 915resolution pkg w/o xorg
  • seawolfseawolf January 2010
    It's a RealTek RTL8192 (possibly SE).
  • nsawnsaw January 2010
    Based on Samsung website (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/n-series/NP-N130-KA01UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec&fullspec=F), N130 only support 1024x60. So how can you say 1280x800?

My 700 eeepc only support max 800x480, but I can use xrandr panning to extend it to whatever resolution I want, and it work with Intel KMS too (archlinux-2.6.32.4, xorg-1.7.4 RC2).

Have you tried to compile a linux kernel yourself? perhaps all the drivers already included there (with the latest stable release of course).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social