This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Slitaz Cooking 20092212 Feedback
  • CaseyCasey December 2009
    Hi,

Let me first start by saying Slitaz is an amazing little creation. The usability/versatility of this tiny iso, its responsiveness, everything about it, is truly mind boggling. This unique mix of features also make it a perfect fit for a USB based persistent backup linux for when I'm on the road and faced with using locked down Windows boxes.

On to feedback:

1. Love the inclusion of a real package manager. Compared to other small footprint distributions, this is a huge boon, not to mention it eases the transition from more full featured distributions for new users. Trying to figure out the mess of dependencies from custom Puppy linux .pet files will quickly convince you of the usefulness of a proper package manager and rich, up to date repos.

2. Love OpenBox as a WM - it offers a beautiful environment and does JUST what it advertises, allowing the user to choose their own panel/launcher/tray applications to suite their needs.

3. I think dropping Xvesa and moving to Xorg - as seen in the newest cooking builds, is a good idea, particularly since the size difference doesn't seem that big - newest cooking "snow" isos are still under 30mb. Support for more resolutions will be welcome - 1440x900 displays we're the bane of my little USB Slitaz stick.

4. Tazusb - a great tool, but it's been broken the last 2 cooking builds - works fine in the official 2.0 release - can't seem to find a particular file from the LiveCD on both cooking 20091104 and 20091222. Using the windows tazusb.exe works however - not ideal, but it's a workaround.

5. The Xorg using ISOs do not work on any of the 3 boxes I've been using for testing the liveCD. Startx fails in all cases and fallback options are limited to 800x600 xterm console or "install Xorg" - I thought Xorg was pre-installed? Also, Slim appears to be disabled in all cases, forcing me to use the startx command. I am about to burn the Xvesa ISO to see if that one works.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social