This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Slimming SliTaz on Eee PC 701 2G Surf.
  • globetrotterdkglobetrotterdk December 2009
    Are there any suggestions for slimming SliTaz on an Eee PC 701 2G Surf? I am first and foremost interested in removing anything that isn't necessary for the Eee. I want to avoid removing functionality if possible, this includes CD/DVD related functionality as I have an external CD/DVD R/W drive I can connect to the Eee. I am using SliTaz 2.

I want to add Flash and OpenOffice.org without system performance taking a big hit.

Does SliTaz still load into RAM when installed to an HD or in my case an SSD?
  • cavalier911cavalier911 December 2009
    There is a custom iso or "flavor" for the eeepc.

Read here:http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/gen-livecd.html

subox tazlitobox
    flavors tab,list flavors button,Flavor: eeepc,get flavor button
    configuration tab,text editor button to right of Packages list:
    View which packages are included in the eeepc flavor,add or delete packages to customize

2.0 Livecd vs. HD Install Fresh Boot Memory Usage

Livecd boot, top indicates 150MB of memory in use.

HD install, top indicates 60 MB of memory in use.
  • globetrotterdkglobetrotterdk December 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. I have only used SliTaz for a few days, but I am continually amazed at how well thought out it is. A very small package that packs a very big punch :)
  • navigernaviger December 2009
    globetrotterdk,

How fast is your Eee? If you have flash installed, can you play a youtube video without dropping frames?
  • navigernaviger December 2009
    I am also wondering if you can play videos at www.hulu.com ? I would not expect you can play them in full screen mode, but maybe they will play in standard mode.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social