This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

UTF-8 flavor
  • asimoasimo December 2009
    SliTaz unfortunately lacks default UTF-8 support. But I need UTF-8 environment, so that I built my flavor and here I released UTF-8 flavor(asimo flavor-v1.5). This flavor is also customized with useful applications. If you think worth a try, download from:

iso image: http://greencomputing.sakuraweb.com/slitaz/iso/asimo_flavor/slitaz-cooking-asimo-flavor-r1.5.1-squashfs.iso

md5: http://greencomputing.sakuraweb.com/slitaz/iso/asimo_flavor/slitaz-cooking-asimo-flavor-r1.5.1-squashfs.md5

The following is a brief summary:

Screenshot:
    http://greencomputing.sakuraweb.com/slitaz/iso/asimo_flavor/screenshot_asimo_flavor_v1.5.png

1- NetworkManager including vpn plugins and Midori

2- Start networkmanager applet: Select Applications -> Internet -> NetworkManger Applet

3- user management tools: 'adduser' with pam

4- Basic firewall rules enabled

5- dm-crypt

6- TinyX: Not all video cards work with Xvesa. I added Xephyr with framebuffer.

7- i18n: en_US.UTF-8 locale

8- Squashfs'ed iso format: This iso works with 256Mb RAM. There are two ways to install to physical drive such as a hard drive; (a)squahfs + aufs and (b)normal filesystem

(a)Using squahfs + aufs

# lzmacat rootfs.gz | cpio -id
    # mkdir /boot && cp vmlinuz-($VER)-slitaz /boot

- setup grub
    - add kernel parameter: init=/init2

(b)Using normal filesystem
    Intact rootfs resides on /.aufs/ro

# cd /.aufs/ro
    # cp -a * (to target partition)
    # mkdir /boot && cp vmlinuz-($VER)-slitaz /boot

- setup grub

9-lxpanel removed

10- Setup wireless with MS driver:

- Install a driver

# ndiswrapper - (driver name).inf

- Add 'ndiswrapper' to 'LOAD_MODULES=' line in /etc/rcS.conf.

Bad thing is that this flavor is less compatible to official cooking packages. Upgrading package is possible problems. Just installing package is OK. but there exist several different name with official packages. It is potentially to happen to overwrite package with official package inadvertently.

- asimo
  • asimo, where can i get this flavor?
    Its just networkmanager that is stoping me from installing slitaz on my hard drive again. I had to delete it and install another distro.
    I tried converting the .deb file and installing it. But it didn't work.
    thanks
  • erniaernia May 2010
    slitaz has wicd as a package, it's a lightweight network manager, you could give it a try
  • thank you but wicd is no good. tried it. i guess i have been spoilt by easy networking. :)
    thanks
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    @slitazFanAgent

Thank you for your interest in my flavor.
    I have built two flavors: slitaz-3.0-mod and slitaz-3.0-i18n.

http://greencomputing.sakuraweb.com/slitaz/iso

But slitaz-3.0-i18n is not including NetworkManger flavor. i18n environment only flavor: UCS fonts (bitmap and TTF) and xfont tools.
    Currently I am working with SliTaz 3.0 based NetworkManager flavor (Hot Tuna Flavor) and it is still under development.

screenshot

In addition, the flavor is heavily customized for my personal use and I cannot say it is a tiny distribution (80Mb), so that you may not like it. If the SliTaz team agrees to develop a NetworkManger flavor, it is a best thing.
    If you would like to try Hot Tuna Flavor nevertheless, please wait for a while. I am building the flavor when I have spare time and I am planning to upload the flavor by the end of this month.

Best wishes,

Asimo
  • jozeejozee May 2010
    asimo,
    You are welcome to add your flavor. Do you know about Slitaz flavor contest : http://mirror.slitaz.org/pizza/ and http://labs.slitaz.org/news/show/16

• asimo,
    thanks for making my day, your flavor is more important than you think. Most people that tried slitaz abandoned it mainly for the networking reason. Especially on laptops.
    I think anything less than 100mb is cool.
    Im waiting for the hot tuna flavor. Please keep me update. :)

We should have a place for user flavor slitaz. like puppy flavors

Thanks asimo once again.
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    @jozee
    Thank you for info. Online flavor builder is interesting! But NetworkManager flavor needs a lot of packages besides official packages. Though I have built a flavor, I haven't yet understood how to deal with unofficial packages.

@slitazFanAgent
    Please be patient for a while. I found a lot of bugs in the flavor and I am removing them now.

asimo
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    Thank you for your patience. hottuna flavor is available now.

Download: slitaz-3.0-hottuna-flavor [sha1sum|md5]

Minimum System RAM requirement:
    Squashfs'ed ISO: 256Mb
    Ordinary ISO:512Mb (converted ISO)

Application menu:
    The default panel is tint2 that has no start menu. Instead of this, openbox has a built-in menu. Just do right click. Then the pop-up menu will appear. The top of the menu is same as the start menu of lxpanel.

[screenshot]

Install adobe flashplayer:
    Download rpm file form the adobe site. Run tazpkg convert install_flash_player_version_linux.rpm and install.

# tazpkg install adobe-flashplugin-version.tazpkg

Midori user scripts:
    Autopagerize and Flashblock userscripts are installed in default. If you wish to remove them, run:

$ rm $HOME/.local/share/midori/scripts/*

If you wish to use them, open extensions pane(Tools->Extensions) and check User addons.

NetworkManager plugins:
    NetworkManager plugins are avilable via net.

# tazpack list-mirror
    # tazpack install networkmanager-plugins
    # tazpack list

Please refer to README for the details.

All suggestions are welcome. Please let me know if you find a problem.

asimo
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh May 2010
    Hi asimo,

I just take a look to the readme of your last creation. It seems really interesting, the tazinitramfs script is a good idea. I will test your flavor and read some of your scripts to see how it works.

Actually, I work on tools wich can be used to manage alternative flavors and repos in the same way that SliTaz do (using a wok, a buildbot and an undigest repo for packages and flavors). I will look for testers soon to have reports about this fonctionnality and improve the scripts. Are you interested ?

Gokhlayeh.
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    Yes.

tazinitramfs has much room for improvement. I haven't rewritten the ineffective script yet.

This initramfs tool(tazinitramfs) works with glibc and busybox. Though major distributions use klibc and its tools, I don't think that is good for SliTaz. Because SliTaz has had busybox already. Busybox is a best tool for such a minimalistic system. Official busybox is okey. But many unnecessary commands are included, so that I rebuilt the package as busybox-mini with essencial commands.

You can modify the script as you like.

To access to initramfs:

a.) using this tool

# tazinitramfs extract initrd-(version).lzma
    # chroot initrd /bin/sh

b.) using boot option

slitaz shell

ls command is ommitted. please use echo command.

asimo

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social