This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Not recognising user password
  • peterftaspeterftas March 2011

I have just installed the latest version of Slitaz on an old Toshiba Portege 7140 laptop, as part of the process I entered a new user and password.

Although when I attempt tp log in it remembers the user name it will not accept the password.  The only way I can get to login is as Root, with the default "root" password.  Is this normal ? or what do I need to do so that it will allow anew user/password ?   And by the way I was very careful and ensured that the password was exactly the same including the "case" of the characters.  Thanks

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    No, it's not normal, but would you mind answering the following:
    1. What is the exact error you get?
    2. Which version do you have installed? SliTaz 3 (Stable) or Cooking or Slitaz-aircrack-ng?
    3. Which keyboard layout and language are you using?
    4. Is your password alphanumeric (Letters and numbers) only or is there some other characters in there?
    5. Did you set both the root AND user password correctly during install?

I'm guessing it's probably the SliTaz cooking login bug, but that's assuming too much considering the information provided so far.

Hi, the computer boots to the Username page, my user name is already there, so I hit return and I then get asked for the password.  I fill in the password hit enter and it goes back to the Username page, but this time  it is blank.    Yes it is the cooking version.   Keyboard is UK and english (GB) is the language.  Pass word has both letters and numbers.  I do not know if I set the passwords correctly at install, I cannot remember exactly what I did, but I do know that I left the root at the default.

Interestingly, if I go into Controlbox as root and chnge the login to my username as automatic, then the computer boots to the desktop and I can use the machine !

Hope this helps.

• slicelslicel March 2011
    I know you were careful but you might have mistyped or forgotten what you typed during installation.

You could login as root and use terminal to change the other user's password to "tux" to test a simple password.  If it works, reset again with your preferred password.
    Hi, I have tried this several times, but it does not work.  It just goes round and round in a loop asking for Username then password then username then password ..............
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    Actually, it's a common bug with the older cooking. It's caused by openbox not starting correctly because the user account is missing some files. The one provided on the website was built in November and still suffers from this bug. A new one should be up by the end of the week, but you can get the current most cooking @ http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/undigest/ - This cooking doesn't suffer from said bug anymore ;)

Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social