This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Puppy works with winmodems, can slitaz?
  • slicelslicel February 2011
    Old background- http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6330/

The latest puppy wary auto-detects the agere 11c11040 hda winmodem perfectly, needing only to enter conf settings that are specific to the internet provider.  After seeing other people's recent success stories, I tried it on my computer and it works.  I connected a minute after booting the live cd.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/quirky/wary-5.1/wary-510-readme.htm
    edit- updated version- http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.1/wary-511-readme.htm

Can slitaz do the same?

Winmodems are extremely common.  A slitaz market niche is old computers and winmodems are found on several generations of computers.  There is no reason to tell people to buy a $60 external modem when linux can run internal winmodems.

Thank you

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    Try installing the linmodem-agrsm package. It's for "Agere Modem Drivers for 11c11040 chipsets" according to http://pkgs.slitaz.org - you'll probably need a dialer program like wvdial to connect properly though. System Tools' Configure Network might be able to do it, but it may require way more effort.

The thing is that SliTaz isn't Puppy and it don't follow the same design concepts. SliTaz is designed to be compact and up to date. To keep it's small size many things are pushed into separate packages - this means the majority of the drivers too. Remember that winmodems are so called because they were expressly designed to work only on a Windows driven machine. Linux support is a very recent thing for them.
    Thank you, we covered your points in the old slitaz thread from 2009 to 2010 (first link in this thread).

The internal hda modems were a problem in linux.  Now that the linmodems and puppy people have done the work to solve the problem, surely slitaz can fix its broken agere package (or broken os for slitaz 4).

There are probably millions of people in the world with computers that could use linmodem support.  It looks strange that slitaz cannot use one of the world's common connection devices (winmodems/linmodems) when the solution is sitting there.

After all, the slitaz concept is to have a linmodem slitaz if you want one (or need one, in many parts of the world).

Thank you

I can tell that you're the kind that likes to fiddle. You know, the kind that can never follows instructions without adding their own steps to it while forgetting to report these 'small' additional steps. This normally leads to failure and confusion because your undisclosed additional steps might be messing things up, while the person trying to help you can never figure out why it's not working for you. Further more you either provide too little information or too much irrelevant information. Basically, it's really hard to help you.

I hate to tell you this but unlike Puppy, which has a couple of thousand of users, SliTaz barely has a hundred or so users. That means out of the MILLIONS of people with winmodems, you may be the only one using SliTaz or maybe just the only one unable to connect using it.

I use a 3G modem to connect here and SliTaz's default method does not work for me. So what did I do? I figured it out for myself and did it with sakis3g and a couple of other packages. Since you're the only with a winmodem system, it's up to you to figure it out and fix it. We can't fix it for you because we don't have a system like yours to test with. It's a simple as that.
    Your beginning story does not make sense because I just reported a success that I can connect on puppy a minute after booting a live cd (that is the whole point of this thread).

Thank you for sharing your opinions about not helping people but please excuse the rest of us if we work together to improve slitaz anyway.

This thread is great news about a gift to slitaz.
    I said that because I DO work in the support industry meaning I get to deal with all sorts of PC users. From what I read from the prior post you listed, you're a fiddler. This normally isn't a problem by itself, but when such a person asks for support they do have the nasty habit of adding a few steps of their own to any instructions given. These additional steps tend to change the environment completely which in turn makes using the original instructions, that doesn't take this into account, fail.

Now, my prior opinion was factual. SliTaz's forum has about 150 or so registered users from the last count and probably about 20 active users a month. Now Puppy's forum has 27126 registered users with an average of 1000 active users a month. That said, by probability alone atleast 100 people with puppy must have a winmodem and atleast 10 people working on making them work with it. Now Slitaz probably ONLY has you as it's sole winmodem user and since you're the ONLY one with the hardware, ONLY you can test it. You still with me? We don't own a system with a winmodem and the majority of us come online via ADSL, 3G or WiFi. That leaves you. You can either keep lamenting about it or you can do something about it.
    Thank you for sharing your further elaborations about not helping people but the last post seems factually dubious and misunderstands the thread topic so I will start again somewhere else.  Do not trouble yourself to respond in the new thread.

I hope you enjoyed the abiword help (solution) that you asked for when you first arrived here.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social