Dual-Booting Problems - SliTaz & antiX
  • TheForsakenTheForsaken January 2011
    PC - P4 - RAM 512MB - HDD 20GB IDE

1) The output of "fdisk -l" from antiX is:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         392     3148708+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda2             393         653     2096482+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda3             654        2438    14338012+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5             654         784     1052226   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6             785        1176     3148708+  83  Linux

/dev/sda1 is antiX / partition.
    /dev/sda2 is antiX /home partition.

/dev/sda6 is SliTaz / partition.

2) I installed antiX first then I installed SliTaz.

3)
    Since antiX installed first, GRUB (antiX) was installed in the MBR of
    the HDD. SliTaz was installed later so as you know, there are ONLY two
    options, either to install GRUB to the MBR or not to install it at all.

4) I tried to add SliTaz to /boot/grub/menu.lst of antiX GRUB Legacy but it did NOT work.

5) SliTaz /boot/grub/menu.lst is:

# /boot/grub/menu.lst: GRUB boot loader configuration.
    #
    # By default, boot the first entry.
    default 0

# Boot automatically after 8 secs.
    timeout 8

# Change the colors.
    color yellow/brown light-green/black

# For booting SliTaz from : /dev/hdb6
    #
    title SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz)
    root (hd1,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz root=/dev/hdb6

6) antiX /boot/grub/menu.lst is:

timeout 10
    color cyan/blue white/blue
    foreground ffffff
    background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title antiX at sda1, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    boot

7) Now, because for some weird reason SliTaz is still using "/dev/hdX" system instead of the better system (IMHO) "/dev/sdX" ... I can't do anything about it.

a) I tried to add SliTaz to antiX grub menu.lst but it did NOT work:

root (hd1,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz root=/dev/hdb6

b) I tried to change the entry to be in the same Syntax of antiX but it did NOT work:

root (hd0,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz root=/dev/sda6

c) I tried to use UUID instead of "/dev/whatever" but it did NOT work:

title SliTaz at sda6 (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz)
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz root=UUID=2f42dc15-6728-4961-b176-7824f9f80dab

Now, you see the problem is here: root (hd0,5)
    SliTaz
    does not understand this. SliTaz understands root (hd1,5). On the other
    hand, antiX does not understand that, antiX understands this: root
    (hd0,5).

How can I Dual-Boot antiX with SliTaz if SliTaz is still
    using "/dev/hdX" system and it detects the HDD as Slave (NO, I'm not
    going to change the jumper, sorry) while antiX has NO problem whatsoever
    with that and detect my HDD as sda not evensdb?

Thank you!
    Since this community has mentioned clearly that I'm on my own and if I need something, it's better to do it myself and I should not expect much help from here; I've decided to do it myself and took that as a challenge not to fix the above issue mentioned in this thread but also to prove my point of view regarding SliTaz.

First thing first, please be informed I have FIXED this issue. I did not fix it using SliTaz as the options I do have with it are VERY limited. I fixed the problem from antiX.
    Now, I can Dual-Boot antiX and SliTaz without any problem whatsoever and it's done in very few steps.

How?
    Simply, as I always used to explain clearly, with GRUB2. I installed GRUB2 in antiX and I can boot even more than 2 OS's. The job will be done in one command.

Moral of the story: GRUB2 beats GRUB Legacy, period.

Thank you so much SliTaz Community. I solved my problem on my own and I proved to everyone here that GRUB2 is much easier and much better to fix such problems.

It was almost impossible to Dual-Boot SliTaz with antiX. I know very well there are work-around to fix that but I'll never go for the lazy solutions, I refuse to do so. I always find the logical and the better path and go for it.

I really hope that the Developers of SliTaz (and I'm going to state my opinion because I do have the right to do that) will think seriously to use GRUB2. If not, then please change "/dev/hdX" system to "/dev/sdX" as IMHO, I see NO POINT to use it.
    I know lots of users "still" think GRUB Legacy is easier to deal with but I think I just proved (yes, I know this is not general scenario) that GRUB2 was the only solution for this problem or that kind of problems.

There are other ways around like change the jumper of the HDD, make it Master and re-install SliTaz and then edit GRUB Legacy in antiX, etc (which can be done in 3 steps or maybe less with GRUB2). Or install a third OS with GRUB2 and then antiX and SliTaz should work. Or perhaps another way.

This is my feedback from using SliTaz. This is my contribution to this community.

I had started another thread about using GRUB2 in SliTaz. Well, I'll forget about it. I'm no longer interested.

Good luck SliTaz and wish to see more improvement on the next release :)

Thank you everyone for your time and for everything.

BY THE WAY: antiX is a very good choice for old machines. It's amazing distribution. Just in case someone may wonder what else beside SliTaz he/she could try.

P.S.
    I'm not going to bother you again :P

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    I apologise in advance to any other member reading this...

The reason why nobody replied was because of your past behaviour. You stubbornly believe your opinion even though none of the facts support it. You made changes to the grub configs without really understanding what your doing or bothering to read the damn manual. And when you failed miserably at that, who did you blame? The distro. I also explained the difference between the sd and hd system and yet again you choose to follow your misunderstanding of it rather than the truth. You also seem to take my opinion on the community that values self-sufficiency as a personal insult.

Maybe you should spend some time and review why you were pretty much shunned from every forum you commented on. I tried to be nice and reasonable to you, but it seems you persist in your stubborn self-induced blindness that rejects anything you don't deem valid to your mistaken beliefs. This is not how you are. You can choose to be nice or an ass speaking out of his ass. You chose the latter and now you're surprised that nobody likes you. It's one thing to be loud-mouthed and opinionated when you know what you're talking about and totally another when you don't. You're in the latter group.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social