This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Can't set up a root password
  • stankingstonstankingston January 2011
    I have Slitaz 3 installed on an 8 GB USB stick. I launched package manager and it asked for a root password.
    I went to Xterm and typed su then  a password, it said unknown id. I need help please. I do not want any passwords, to me they are nothing but a nuiscance, is there any way I can illiminate them.  I use Ubuntu with no passwords. Regards Stan.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    Because it's su enter/return key, then password and not su password or su application. You cannot use su like sudo because they're not the same.

You can however install sudo from the repository and using the ubuntu hack @ http://maestric.com/doc/unix/ubuntu_sudo_without_password - you could probably disable the asking of passwords like you do on Ubuntu for terminal commands. Also for the graphical one, Slitaz gives you the option to save the password, so all you have to do is click OK each time.
    Hello Trixar_za,  I thank you for your help. I did as you suggested, in Xterm it now invites me to enter a password , but when I do it says "incorrect password"  I have tried 3 passwords which I have used for many years on several distros and many applications, they have never been rejected before. They consist of 8 characters all of which are either numbers or letters. I looked at some SliTaz docs. to see if it needs a specif format but I found nothing. I tried SliTaz Cooking which initially I liked better than 3 but I did'nt get as far as the password because the keyboard did'nt work. I should be grateful for any further suggestions you may have. There's no hurry, I'll go back to Ubuntu for a while. Kind reegards Stan
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    I'm assuming you installed Slitaz, so when you use su, it expects you to use the root password you set instead of the user password. I personally set my user and root password the same when I installed Slitaz, so I don't really have this problem. The trick is just to remember while your using su to use the root password you've set. The default password with the LiveCD is root btw, just in case you didn't know.

This gets a little confusing if you're used to sudo, because sudo expects your user password and not your root one. Since you're used to sudo I think it would be easier just to install sudo and use visudo to set the right permissions using the link above. This should save you alot of pain later on.
  • mojomojo January 2011
    The root password and username are the same.
    username:root password:root
    The other user is tux which has no password.
    There is no way to eliminate the subox from popping up when using gui to install software.
    If you check the autosave password type root in Admin password: you won't have to type it in again.You will have to click OK button to dismiss subox and open the gui.
    In terminal if you install sudo since tux has no password, hit enter when it prompts for password. To avoid the bother of being prompted for a password and having to hit enter a second time I use Trixar_za suggestion of visudo NOPASSWD : ALL

I thank you for your help, I think you have now solved my problem. Stan.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social