This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Failed to open /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory;Permission Denied (OLD Couldn't find rootfs.gz)
  • Speed3210Speed3210 January 2011
    I downloaded the slitaz-3.0.iso and took it with Linux Live USB Creator on a 8GB USB stick. Now I boot from it on my old netbook and sart withhout installation. If I go to the SliTaz Installer now, there comes an error message: "Could not find file rootfs.gz" ! How can I fix it? and besides, I have honestly no idea how to do that with these partitions, and what I need to write to "mount" something. Please answer wizth words for absolute beginners ! Sorry for my bad english. Im german.
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur January 2011
    Hi,
    According to doc found here:
    http://doc.slitaz.org/en:handbook:installation

It says:

If you get into trouble because the compressed file-system is not found,
    please check that SliTaz is in the master CD/DVD device. If the problem
    persists you can use a downloaded ISO image and mount it on /media/cdrom where the installer expects to find it:

# mount -o loop slitaz-3.0.iso /media/cdrom 
    This post might help as well:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/4066/#Comment_4066

I hope it helps.
    Cheers.
    Stephane
    But its /cdrom there ! But the Slitaz CD is actually a USB Stick named multiboot, in /media/MULTIBOOT ! so /cdrom is useless ?!
    c'mon i need more help
  • ErjoErjo January 2011
    Look at  /media/MULTIBOOT/boot
    what should i find there ? i know that thwre is rootfs.gz -.- but that does not fix my problem.
  • ErjoErjo January 2011
    Oops, sorry. I haven't read from the beggining.
    What you can do is:

1. copy th .iso on the stick.
    2. modify the script /usr/bin/slitaz-installer.
        You just need to replace: CDROM=/dev/$DRIVE_NAME by CDROM=/media/MULTIBOOT/slitaz-3.0.iso

I tried to write it, but i couldnt save :S when i try to change the properties so it's write able, it says Operation not permitted ! When I go on Terminal > su > root pw > im root > change properties, still "Operation not permitted" !
    How I make the Installer search i /media for /cdrom ???
    need help

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social