This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Messed up (?) /etc/firewall.conf in latest cooking
  • avamkavamk December 2010
    I am using latest SliTaz Cooking, and followed the documentation to customise the firewall.

When I first opened /etc/firewall.conf, I saw a long configuration file with entries like:

# Enable/disable kernel security at boot time.
    KERNEL_SECURITY="yes"
    # Enable/disable iptables rules.
    IPTABLES_RULES="yes"

# Netfilter/iptables rules.
    # This shell function is included in /etc/init.d/firewall.sh
    # to start iptables rules.
    #
    iptables_rules()
    {

I changed some setttings in the iptables_rules() function, saved /etc/firewall.conf, then did /etc/init.d/firewall restart.

However, it showed errors like (each line looks similar):

/etc/init.d/firewall: /etc/firewall.conf: line 6: -A: not found

I tried pscan localhost, and the open ports do not match my modifications to /etc/firewall.conf.

Then, I tried to open /etc/firewall.conf via the Server Manager GUI, and found that the entire contents have been *replaced* by just this:

# Generated by iptables-save v1.4.10 on Tue Dec 28 02:55:54 2010
    *filter
    :INPUT DROP [1765:165821]
    :FORWARD DROP [0:0]
    :OUTPUT DROP [36:1872]
    -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1024:60310 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 6667 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 1024:65535 -j ACCEPT 
    -A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -j ACCEPT 
    -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
    COMMIT
    # Completed on Tue Dec 28 02:55:54 2010

The iptables_rules() function is no longer present, also gone are the lines like "KERNEL_SECURITY="yes"".

It seems to me that my firewall configuration files have been corrupted somehow, is there a way for me to restore all of them to their factory defaults? Afterwards, how do I safely edit my firewall configuration?

Thanks.
  • seawolfseawolf December 2010
    Hi @avamk --

I'm running Stable and haven't used this GUI before, but a quick test of running ServerBox and just clicking "Save" did indeed mangle it completely.

- The 2nd line of /etc/init.d/firewall.sh shows this file is not parsed by IPTables but run as a set of commands, which is why the errors are raised. The shell obviously cannot understand "-A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT" as a command.
    - Looking at the source for /usr/bin/serverbox, iptables-save/-restore is run when the buttons clicked, and I don't think this is necessary. These two commands seem to be for applying the currently-running configuration, rather than the contents of the file.
    - It is between these two points that the bug lies.

The fix would be to restore the default from a SliTaz LiveCD, edit the file in the editor that opens (Leafpad or similar), File>Save it, then run `/etc/init.d/firewall restart`.

I'm not wholly knowledgeable about IPTables so can't quite grasp why the save/restore commands are used, perhaps it just needs explaining or the UI improving. Perhaps renaming the button to "Restore", and an "Apply" one that just executes `/etc/init.d/firewall restart` should be added...

HIH.
  • avamkavamk December 2010
    Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I have to stick to manual editing of /etc/firewall.conf for now?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about ServerBox to fix it, I hope someone will do that soon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social