This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Screen Layout
  • Dark_ViperDark_Viper November 2010
    Slitaz is a great distro overall especially for weak systems. It uses little resources and occupies little space on hard drive (or ssd). This makes it a powerful alternative for netbooks (and tablets) but something is missing, an adequate layout for the small screens, like Ubuntu netbook remix, Chrome OS, etc.
    My questions: Is it possible to only change the look without mayor changes to the system?
    If so: Is anybody working on this?
    Another thing, there are always problems with wifi and other basic drivers on most distros, but you really don't hear much ubuntu users have those problems, Can't you make an ubuntu to slitaz pakage or driver converter? I mean it is open source, no?
    Thank you in advanced for your replies.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    Slitaz can convert over the Ubuntu packages using the tazpkg convert command. It's not elegant, but normally works well if the dependencies aren't too weird.

I wouldn't say Ubuntu is the best network wise - especially for wifi. I think that crown belongs to Fedora (Open Source Red Hat) and it's children, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS.

As for the best look, well, SliTaz allows you some flexibility in that regard. You can install Enlightenment or XFCE to help customize the desktop. I know some netbook users that prefer Enlightenment as their desktop manager. Maybe give it a shot?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social