This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

New user has unknown language setting [SOLVED]
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    I did a "# tazlito clean-distro ; tazlito get-flavor core ; tazlito gen-distro", then reinstalled my laptop with the newly created iso. All well until I get around to fixing the new user (copy necessary files to .config, .locale, etc.). When I login using the new user account, I see wierd characters for the desktop icons, lxpanel, menu, etc. However, the right click menu on the desktop is still English, and so is the language for Control Box, etc.

I won't bother with the why, but any help with where I can change the display language would be very useful. The language setting under Control Box, Language is set to en-US. Tested this by creating different users, always the same result.
  • LexeiiLexeii November 2010
    Interesting, what is language you have. Run in terminal
    export
    and scroll to read lines
    LANG=?
    LC_ALL=?
    Tell me about it!! It says en_US for both. I can post a screenshot, don't know how though.
    Can anyone reproduce this? My available traffic yet tiny to gen-distro.

Ms3811, can you right-click on desktop icon (not 'My docs') and open it in text editor? Can you see that weird characters inside? Please, copy-paste that whole line here. But I still haven't thoughts, what is the kind of glitch it may be.
    Screenshot is a good idea, may be this is not a wrong locale at all.
  • kultexkultex November 2010
    it seems, that attachments are now possible in Vanilla - is it possible to get this feature?

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/fileupload-plugin
    @Lexeii, sorry for the delayed response. Can you please tell me which desktop icon you are referring to? Thanks.

@Kultex, I take it there isn't a way to post a screen shot at this time?
    Ok, here goes: http://imagebin.ca/view/GktZXPG.html (screenshot). And one more: http://imagebin.ca/view/ZKf8EQ.html (with Control Box). @Lexeii, maybe this is what you were referring to?
    Thanks, ms3811. Looks like it's not weird symbols, but squares ;)
    Seems, like you miss using font. Check this:
    In this example I'm using font Droid Sans 7.

Please, try select one or another font in this combo (don't forget about 'Apply' button)...

No luck? Try to download & install font packages:
    • in stable:
      1. ttf-bitstream-vera : The ttf bitstream vera fonts.
      2. ttf-dejavu : DejaVu True Type Font (minimum).
      3. ttf-dejavu-extra : DejaVu True Type Font (extra).
      4. xfree86-base-fonts : X window base fonts from the XFree86 project.
    • in Cooking:
      1. droid-font : Font family from Google's Android project
      2. and fonts listed in stable

Then try to select font again (see screenshot).
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur November 2010
    @lexeii,
    Excellent!!
    Screen-shot are so nice when trying to express ideas.

Would you mind telling me how did you manage including screen-shot as you did? This is so great. :-)

Thanks.
    Stephane
    I insist, they are wierd symbols!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it was an issue with the fonts. For some reason, /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu had permissions for root user only. It wouldn't let me change it either, no errors, just wouldn't change. Don't know what the issue was, but doing a "tazpkg get-install ttf-dejavu --forced" fixed it.

Thanks once again.
    Ps: please do let us know how you posted that screenshot.
  • nirmalhnirmalh November 2010
    I never faced such situation but i suggest if in such cases at any point of timeusers are able to log into terminal and be able to access irc channel #slitaz , it will be more useful. When i used sidux i was able to get weechat through terminal.
    singingBird
  • nirmalhnirmalh November 2010
    I never faced such situation but i suggest if in such cases at any point of time users are able to log into terminal and be able to access irc channel #slitaz , it will be more useful. When i used sidux i was able to get weechat through terminal.
    singingBird
  • mojomojo November 2010

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social