This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Build Router , FireWall with SLITAZ ??
  • MohammadMohammad November 2009
    How could i build a router or firewall on my pc with 2 NIC ( Network Interface Card ) on a LAN with slitaz ?
    Is a plugin or special config need ?
  • deadwaitdeadwait November 2009
    hi, mohammad,
    you will need iptables installed to have firewall functionality
    do a tazpkg get-install iptables
    then to just forward packets and acts as a basic router you can run the following command as root
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    and thats it your slitaz box is router. of course as of now that will only work for static routes.
    if you need dynamic routing functionality, you will need something like quagga or bird, which gives you ospf/rip/bgp functionality, bird is already there in the repos.so you can try with bird.
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    I asked before and someone told me that slitaz firewall works automatically without iptables and iptables is only for those who want to customize the firewall.

Does slitaz have a working firewall without iptables?

Thank you.
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    Hi,

No. You need iptables.

The firewall is not enabled by default.
    Before enabling you may install iptables, customize the rules in /etc/firewall.conf and switch
    IPTABLES_RULES to yes in the same file.

+Erjo
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/network-config.html#firewall says,

"SliTaz provides a very basic firewall, the kernel security rules are launched at boot time...The default firewall script begins with its own set options for the Kernel...The firewall uses Iptables, it consists of two files: /etc/firewall.conf and /etc/init.d/firewall, you shouldn't need to modify these."

It says nothing about no firewall by default (it says iptables are off by default but does not say the firewall is off by default) and says nothing about having to install iptables before the firewall will work.

Will someone please post detailed directions to start a firewall at boot?

Thank you.
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    ok.
    You are right.
    the script /etc/init.d/firewall put some "basic" rules for hardening networking .
    But It is not really firewalling for me, just security enhancement.

To have this at boot just check tha you have firewall in RUN_DAEMONS

If you need more complet stuff like filtering, NAT, redirection, connexion tracking and so on you need to play with iptables.

• jozeejozee November 2009
    Hi all,

Can someone with knowledge on iptables create a simple GUIbox for firewall setup (just to set some policy/start/stop/)? OR Do we have some lightweight GUI package for iptables (similar to firestarter) in repos?
  • FrancisFrancis February 2011
    http://pizza.slitaz.org/tiny/index.php <<< looks good!

Im looking into doing this on my old system and doing some hands on stuff to replace my ipcop box :P there are loads of firewall linux distributions premade like ipcop, smoothwall but im going to look into this :)

@jozee
    Depends what you wont the iptables to do like e.g im looking into this.

WAN/Cable Modem = NIC 1(eth0)
    LAN/Linksys WRT54GS v4 DD-WRT = NIC 2(eth1)

So everything on my LAN talks to squid so my iptables would look like
    172.16.145.0/16 = My LAN Devices
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 172.16.145.0/16 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.2:3128

:)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social