This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

cooking xorg dcc, xorg.conf parsing and 20-Files.conf
  • erniaernia October 2010
    i'm switching to cooking to try to build pcmanfm2 with gvfs support, i need it to let my wife to browse some ssh share in my little server without using midnight commander (she would hit me and come back to windows if i ask her to use mc :-) ).
    after tazpkg recharge && tazpkg upgrade i found myself without X at reboot.
    checking Xorg.0.log and fiddling with xorg configuration files it turns out that:
    1) xorg-server 1.8 does not like my belkin usb kvm and refuses to read dcc info through it. xorg-server 1.5.2 did it.
    2) by putting
            HorizSync 30.00 - 70.00
    VertRefresh 50.00 - 76.00
    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf i did not get any result. putting the same rows in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-Monitor.conf i got my 1280x1024 back. if i did not get it wrong this is not as it should be, /etc/X11/xorg.conf should override /xorg.conf.d/50-Monitor.conf.
    3) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-Files.conf contains
    Section "Files"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/X11/modules"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/"
    EndSection
    , which does not make sense. the fault is not due to tazx, the same content is in the file generated from X -configure
    i think that someone more skilled than me should investigate about these issues, somewhere in xorg-server there must be an undefined variable or some ' instead of " or something similar.
    it could be useful make tazx check if /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-evdev.conf is where it should be and reinstall xorg-xf86-input-evdev if it's not there.
    someone who's fighting with X could have deleted it :-)
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh October 2010
    @ernia : evdev is our default driver, but it's not the only one. Why not giving the choice and let peoples who want to use something else do it ?
    sorry, did not think about that, and i should have used "could it be ... ?" as i meant, so sorry about my english too
    @ernia : nop, proposing a wrong solution is always better than proposing nothing :) I wanted to show what's the problem create by this one.

By the way I forgot to answer at your questions. In fact I edited tazx to make it works with xorg-serv-1.8. After update to cooking, you need a tazx config-xorg to update the configuration anyway. Note that the files in xorg.conf.d are the template that xorg generate cutted in several sections. About your questions :

1) HAL and udev are tools used to handle hardware and trigger actions or give info about it. HAL is now deprecated and all distros/software switch to udev less or more brutally. In SliTaz we make it soft (hal is in cooking core atm), anyway it leads to some issue. xorg-server dropped hal support with version 1.8 and now use udev, it's probably why you have this problem. Please check that udev is enabled in you're /etc/rcS.conf.

2) yes, xorg.conf should be read before files in xorg.conf.d. This said, if you have put only theses two lines in it it's normal that it does nothing. Try to copy the entire monitor section in it and add theses lines in the monitor section, this should works and avoid a suppression of you're changes if you use tazx config-xorg another time - you can also rename you monitor.conf with a lower number (i.e:41-Monitor.conf)

3) To be honest I wrote the tool speedy (when I did cooking was broken by the xorg-server update : no keyboard, no mouse etc.) and this is my fault. What I should do is removing some lines in this (and in some others sections I think; like module), and make the packages which contains the related fonts/modules adding their own configuration files instead.
    1) /etc/rcS.conf has UDEV="yes" , it should be ok, no? maybe my issue with the KVM is a regression in xorg-server
    2)sorry again about my english: i did copy the whole monitor section from 50-Monitor.conf and then added the two rows. no effect until i put the same rows in 50-Monitor.conf
    3) i don't think that tazx is responsible of these issues, i think that it's xorg-server's fault. if you run X -configure as root with no X and then check the generated xorg.conf.new in root it has
    Section "Files"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/"
    FontPath "${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/"
    EndSection
    inside it. tazx just divide the xorg.conf in different files, the fault is in the original xorg.conf.new .
    if i would be a slitaz developer i would double chek xorg-server build.
    1) udev is quite new and sometimes hardware is missing in it. It can also be a xorg regression.
    2) ok, I need to check what is wrong here.
    3) Maybe ${prefix} call ModulePath ? Because in fact we have font so... I was speaking about the FontPath which call non-present fonts.
    from /var/log/Xorg0.log of my last boot in cooking:
    [    54.332] (**) FontPath set to:
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/,
    ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/
    [ 54.332] (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/X11/modules"
    [    54.986] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/, removing from list!
    [ 54.986] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
    [ 54.986] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/misc/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/OTF/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/Type1/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/, removing from list!
    [ 54.987] [dix] Could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/, removing from list!
    [ 55.398] (II) config/udev: Adding input device USB OpticalWheel Mouse (/dev/input/event1)

i think that the error should not appear if ${prefix} would be correct.
    @ernia : I just updated xorg-server in cooking (v1.9.1) : http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/07ae722ec64e
    Fontpath problem is solved. About HorizSync and VertRefresh, someone tell me that this update can fix some problems. I'm waiting to know if all cook well on tank, then I will update the mirror when all is fine and be open to all reports about that.
    thanks
  • erniaernia November 2010
    ok, now the fonts path seems to be a path, but i think that it is pointing in the wrong direction
    fabio@slitaz:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-Files.conf 
    Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection
    fabio@slitaz:~$ ls /usr/share/fonts/
    truetype/ X11/
    fabio@slitaz:~$ ls /usr/share/fonts/X11/
    misc/ util/

[ 188.339] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
    [ 188.339] Entry deleted from font path.
    [ 188.339] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
    [ 188.339] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
    [ 188.339] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
    [ 188.339] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] Entry deleted from font path.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
    [ 188.340] (**) FontPath set to:

[ 188.340] (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/X11/modules"

xorg-server still seems to ignore the Monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

i don't have time to install the new iso, i just updated all and reconfigured X through tazx, hope to try the clean install this week end
  • erniaernia December 2010
    i misunderstood xorg.conf.d.
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the first file parsed, and after that the files in /etc/xorg.conf.d ending with .conf are parsed in alphamuneric order, so the monitor section i put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d got overridden from 50-Monitor.conf, and this is the aspected behavior. sorry about that

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social