This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

writefs problem
  • tikbalangtikbalang November 2009
    slitaz hangs when creating rootfs.gz. my pc is a p3 1ghz with 512mb ram. my rootfs.gz is currently 123mb and i'm trying to add the last few packages that i need. the longest i waited for it to finish is 30mins and slitaz is not responding to any keypress or mouse movement. any solutions to this?
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    Compression takes a long time with big files or slow computers.

I think running in ram means you need enough ram for uncompressed fs size of normal boot plus enough ram to compress the fs (a total of 2x uncompressed fs size?).

I think another forum post mentioned that tazlito (live cd iso) and tazusb have different default compression settings.

The documentation is confusing about whether or not tazusb works on fat or only ext3 (or if tazusb works on fat but home only works on ext3).

I do not know why tazusb and tazlito are two different things instead of one thing with documentation on the home= option.
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    tazusb works with both fat32 and ext3.

+Erjo.
    Erjo, why does the tazusb manual say, "The command 'format' is used for formatting a device for use as a LiveUSB device. Currently, it only supports formatting as EXT3"?

Does "TazUSB supports both FAT32/EXT3 formatted drives using SYSLINUX and EXTLINUX respectively" mean that syslinux does not work on ext3 and extlinux does not work on fat32?

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/manuals/tazusb.en.html

Can you put /home on ext3, ext2, fat32, fat16, or ntfs?

Thank you.
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    @slicel: Because for now tazusb only support ext3 for formatting.

Syslinux is for fat32 and extlinux for ext3 (http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project).

/home on:

ext3/ext2: yes of course.

Fat32: yes, but with no perms and no symlink (Fat32 limitation)

NTFS: Never tried.

+Erjo
    The manual sounds like only ext3 works for liveusb.

Tha handbook http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/liveusb.html says you need to do "tazusb format," which is ext3 only, which implies that fat32 would not work.

Is "tazusb format" a necessary step or not?

Does "tazusb format" add special structure for tazusb liveusb function that gparted does not?

Thank you.
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    Just a bad sound :)

Format is not a necessary step. Only if there is no filesystem on the key.
    tazusb only run mkfs, Gparted does more.

+Erjo
  • tikbalangtikbalang November 2009
    you need mtools, dosfstools and other filesystem related tools/libs to accomodate other filesystems, even with gparted. tazusb works on any mountable disk.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social