This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

More than one desktop/user
  • GeorgGeorg November 2009
    Perhaps it is a general linux problem. But how it is possible - like in windows - to change the user in the gui. Perhaps if my son came and want to use the pc for a short time to check his email,.... In windows I can go to change user and than an other desktop will open with for the new user. How can I do this in siltaz. I cannot find anything similar?? I only find this on a console window. But this is no help - not practicable.

I think this is a always needed feature.

Thanks
  • vinylvinyl December 2009
    Georg,

I can tell you it's not a general Linux thing. The programme you want to get to, I think, is called a "display manager." It's a graphical front end that looks prettier than a text login: prompt and starts up X Windows for you. The one SliTaz uses is called SLiM. It's pretty bare bones - all that's there is a single field to type in login and password. Perhaps what you need to do is get there again without logging out of the current X session, and I'm not sure how to do that. It won't let me launch it again while X is open, but maybe there's some workaround somebody else can help you with. I hope this response has given you some leads.
  • vinylvinyl December 2009
    lenios from #slitaz has pointed out that you can get another session by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7, Ctrl-Alt-F8, etc. and login from there, then startx. (Default session seems to be F7.) Thanks, lenios!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social