This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

streaming video
  • I have run into a new problem. When I try to watch online video, for example youtube, the cpu speed hits the roof, and the video stutters really badly, i.e a new picture every 2 seconds. Why is this happening? I have read on this forum on people watching youtube with much small cpus than mine.

Dell Latitude c840
    512mb ram
    18gb hd
    pentium 4 M CPU 1.80GHz

Thanks for any help here!

PS I have the flash player installed from get-flash-plugin I have also tried installing open-source alternatives gnash and swfdev, but neither of these even worked at all. I use the Shiretoko FireFox.
  • moulefritemoulefrite June 2010
    It's not normal ...

Perheaps it's your HD suffering ? Did you try Slitaz frugal (running in RAM) or at least putting your browser cache in Ram ?

Also, install flashblock to dismiss all the extra-animation running beside your video.

• Thanks for the advice, how do i put the cache in ram?

Thanks
    Roo
  • mojomojo June 2010
    What version and type of slitaz install, live cd (frugal) or full install of root filesystem on your hard drive ?
    Menu/System Tools/Top Processes Viewer
    Play youtube video so your CPU spikes up, post the names of processes using the greatest %CPU
  • I have a full hard drive install of slitaz 3, with kernel 2.6.30.6-slitaz (i686).

When streaming from youtube the following tasks are at the top. the percentages are approximate, obviously they change alot.

firefox-bin ~ 70%
    lxtask ~ 20%
    Xorg ~ 7%
    lxpanel ~ 7%

I know this doesnt add up, its just the value I saw the most of from each process.

also, in case this is helpful, I was using 120mb of 502mb ram, I also have allocated about 1000mb to swap but i cant see where to find how much is being used...

Thanks again
    Roob

Edit: doing the same with midori and opera, the results are the same, but of course swap firefox-bin for opera or midori processes.
  • wow... fixed it... and how fast is my computer now?!?!?!

Turn out that in the BIOS the CPU speed was set to 'compatible' and apparently that turned out to be 250mhz! Set it to 1.8GHz and we are flying!

Roob
  • nonteenontee June 2010
    oohh, very strainge...

mine is CPU pentium III - 800 MHz.=(.8 GHz). ram 128 MB.

and i run youtube very smoothness with light and sound.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social