This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

What does linux-headers do and where does it go? Cannot find after install
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    What does linux-headers do and where does it go?

Thank you.
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    I still cannot find any installed linux-headers folder or file after tazpkg says it installed the linux-headers package.

How do I fix it?

Thank you.
  • devl547devl547 May 2010
    in /usr/include/linux ?
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    I see no headers in /usr/include/linux.

Thank you.
  • seawolfseawolf May 2010
    You could download the TazPkg file, decompress it and have a look inside to find out where it goes. The reciept may have some telling details, too.

I though the purpose of linux-headers was to provide an interface of sorts to the kernel source, without having to download all the kernel source code. Building kernel modules etc. take it as read from the definitions, structures etc. (headers) that the functions exist so use them; the compiled kernel then works with that interface connection.*

HIH.

* - may be complete rubbish...
  • mojomojo May 2010
    tazpkg
    Find the install path/filenames for any installed tazpkg
    tazpkg list-files name.of.tazpkg

Search for install path/filename of installed tazpkg
    tazpkg search-file filename

Search for which tazpkg contains filename in your release.
    Newest version of tazpkg only.
    tazpkg search-pkgname filename

tazpkgbox
    Find install path/filenames for tazpkgs that are installed or available for your release .
    subox tazpkgbox

Search tab/type name of tazpkg/click Packages button/dbl click tazpkg search result/click Files button
    subox tazpkgbox

Search tab/type filname/click Files button/tazpkg appears in list followed by install path/filename

SliTaz Packages Database
    http://pkgs.slitaz.org/search.cgi
    Search for file,filelist,view receipt,and more for all repositorys
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    I think mojo's post is an xterm version of seawolf's post.

I do not see any "headers" in the linux-headers file list.

The problem is that I have instructions to make a module using a linux-headers that does not exist, the instruction substituting the slitaz kernel version and extraversion being-
    # make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.6-slitaz M=agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225 modules
    make: *** /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.6-slitaz: No such file or directory. Stop.

Linux instructions often do not work on slitaz but I cannot find slitaz documentation on how to make slitaz work.

Thank you.

• seawolfseawolf May 2010
    The headers are the hundreds of *.h files. They pair up to the *.c source code files found in linux-source.

Your command should refer to /usr/include or /usr/include/linux for the headers, should it not? Can you run the make command without specifying the path and hope it uses the correct one?
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    The headers are the hundreds of *.h files. They pair up to the *.c source code files found in linux-source.

I wonder why slitaz lacks the "linux-headers" directory of the other linux.
    Your command should refer to /usr/include or /usr/include/linux for the headers, should it not?

I do not know. That is not what the module author's instructions say.
    Can you run the make command without specifying the path and hope it uses the correct one?

I tried but it did not work.

Thank you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social