This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

slitaz hangs at slim login screen
  • skralljtskralljt May 2010
    After fixing mbr/grub issues with a xubuntu cd, I booted to my fresh slitaz installation to find that it hangs at the login screen. trying to switch to a tty does not work. caps lock or num lock lights on my keyboard do not change either. Nor does cntrl alt delete. Only a hard reset works. I tried adding acpi=off to the kernel options in the grub menu.lst, didn't change anything. Does anyone know what I might be missing?
  • seawolfseawolf May 2010
    Hi @Skralljt --

I had this problem and it was down to broken video drivers. As soon as X started (either Slim or the desktop through 'startx') it would hang. I had to go back to Stable as I couldn't downgrade the drivers.
    You could try switching to the 'vesa' driver or that for your card.
  • mark60mark60 May 2010
    Is this a brand new install or were you ever able to log in? If you can't tty and cntr/alt/del or cntr/alt/backspace doesn't work it sounds like its borked. Consider a reinstall, it only takes a few minutes.
  • mark60mark60 May 2010
    Oops, seawolf may be right if it's a keyboard problem. Does your mouse curser move?
  • mark60mark60 May 2010
    Sorry, slim has the cursor hidden. Have you tried deleting or renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf? When you reboot I think it will respawn using a driver that works.
  • mark60mark60 May 2010
    I think I figured it out. If you don't have xorg-xf86-input-keyboard installed the keyboard won't work in X which would look like a hang at slim.
  • After upgrading my slitaz (cooking 3 on HDD), I am faced to same problem:
    keyboard does not seem to answer at login screen.

I have tried mark60 advices:
    - boot with live cd
    - removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf => did not help
    - forced an install of xorg-xf86-input-keyboard => did not help

I am not sure if it is correct to install xorg-xf86-input-keyboard to HDD from live CD session with this command:

#tazpkg get-install xorg-xf86-input-keyboard --forced

Could anyone correct me and tell me what it is the right thing to do in order to get my login back?

Stephane

• kultexkultex May 2010
    boot the live cd and edit your menu.lst and add screen=text

this disables the slim login manager and enables better diagnosis. If you still have no keyboard, perhaps you can try it with external USB-Keyboard

if the keyboard is present, then it seems to be permisson problem of tux

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:faq-login
  • Hi,
    One step further.

Following kultex advice I am able to boot in text mode. Everything works just fine. I can login. => the keyboard is usable in text mode.

I confirm that both .Xdefault and .xinitrc files are present in user directory.

The /var/log/slim files contents many _FontTransOpen errors saying that: could not init font path element ${prefix}/share/fonts...

What is the next step to check to get my x login back?
    Thanks
  • kultexkultex June 2010
    it seems, that X does not find any fonts.

see on the end of this page: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa

check in your xorg.conf the font path and check if the fonts are realy there - I never tried cooking - I have no idea, if the fontpah changed ....
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh June 2010
    Hi,

I've reported this problem there's few days and tried to solve that without success.

The problem is that keyboard AND mouse are not recognized in new cooking.

I use live session and I've generated several live (each time there was an update). I did tests with live home and old persistent home.

If I login in TTY (using the option screen=text), I'm able to launch X session and openbox with startx without using Slim. It's how I've discovered that mouse is not recognize too (pad or usb).

I havn't find that a package was missing, but maybe the new Xorg version need some new packages to work, or maybe some files are not packed in the right package.

The Xorg.conf seems right, but maybe there's some new line to add with this new version.

It seems all important files to start a session in user space are here, so I think that the problem is not here.

I am a newbie in Xorg hacking, so I havn't find a precise answer to that problem.

EDIT : can it be a bad configuration in /etc/group ?

GoKhlaYeh.
  • SFABSFAB June 2010
    My fix :
    Since xorg 1.8, the input device config has changed :
    1 - Comment all the InputDevice sections in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    2 - Replace it with something like this :
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    MatchIsPointer "yes"
    Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Restart X, it should work with most input devices ("normal" mouse at least).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social