This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Tazswitchboard?
  • slicelslicel April 2010
    I still am working on basic functions for slitaz but eventually run-in-ram and tazlito are attractions and current features make progress on an old suggestion of mine about only booting to ram what you need at the moment.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding..

The problem is how to be lightweight (ltw) but have access to heavyweight (hvw) features on demand.

Currently, I think I can have a ltw frugal in a hvw traditional hd install and the ltw can run the ooo that is installed on the hvw (as root, not sure if that is a security issue). That is nice but inefficient because, even if the ltw is only 50mb, that 50mb is a duplicate of 50mb on the hvw.

Is it possible or desirable to have one hvw hd install but select on-the-fly what is booted to ram or returned to hd, such as by a switchboard that might look like an installed tapkg list?

Thank you.

Ps- Could someone point me to the latest information on grub entries for having 2 ltw frugal flavors in a hvw hd install and for explaining more about moulefrite's #3? Thank you.
    moulefrite April 28 
    1. You can access to any hdd from a frugal boot .
    2. A frugall install is nothing more than a grub aiming a rootfs.gz
    So, if you have alreadz Slitaz installed on HD , you can easily add any rootfs.gz
    in it's boot folder and add a Grub entry to boot on that rootfs.gz

3. (If you are interested), you can use
    # tazpkg link OpenOffice3 /media/disk
    to use your application from your installed Slitaz (on /media/disk) into your current slitaz session.

and create a new rootfs.gz with these links :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social